Menu
A silly question: “Why do we eat popcorn when we are at the cinema?”
Jul 17, 2011 03:51
  • LAUGH
Can you bear someone who keeps cracking popcorn when you are watching a movie at the cinema? My answer is “I can’t”

Last Saturday night, my friend invited me to watch Kungfu Panda 2 with him. I did go there and watch the movie. But I was pissed off by a young guy with his girlfriend who sat behind me. They brought a huge box of popcorn and ate it with a big noise. I really couldn’t understand why people had to eat pop-corn when they watched the movie. Did they have to refuel themselves?

Jul 17, 2011 10:40
GUEST19140 Many people are abnoxious, rude, inconsiderate, annoying, loud, attention seekers and plain stupid - and they love it. THEY enjoy interrupting YOUR peace of mind.

So, popcorn in a movie theater fits the bill. So is a ringing cellphone. Or chewing gum. Or smoking. Or a loud conversation...

That's one of the reason the DVD industry flourishes. Rent a movie and watch at home.
Jul 17, 2011 21:17
  • BBQQ
Laugh, it is not a silly question. Eating popcorn at the cinema has been a part of movie culture. We just learn this from the USA. The Americans oftern eat popcorn when they watch soap operas. Later, it has been introduced to the commercial movies.

And I am not sure if you have noticed one thing when you go to the cinema. The cinemas usually don't allow the audience to bring their own food or drinks. The staff even check yor handbags when you enter the hall. Why? They want to you to buy them in the cinemas so they can make more money. But the prices of the popcorn and drinks are more expensive in the cinemas.

Someone made a survey and found out that the profit of selling popcorn is 90 percent. Can you believe it?
Jul 18, 2011 21:48
  • MARRYMAX
GUEST19140,

Renting a movie and watching at home is a nice idea. But today most movies firstly shown at the cinemas and then they may be released on DVDs. If you don't watch them at the cinemas, you need to wait for some time to find the DVD version.

And you will have different feelings when watching movies at home and cinemas. Transformers will be shown in China this week. I decide to watch it at the cinema. I don't want to wait.

If you like popcorn, you may eat it when you watch movies at home. No one will be disturbed and you can eat as much as you can.
Jul 19, 2011 20:47
  • SUNNYDAY
I'm not a big movie fan. I can wait until the DVD version is released.
Jul 20, 2011 01:19
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDAY

I'm not a big movie fan. I can wait until the DVD version is released.

I can't. This week, I will go to the cinema to watch Transformers.

Sunnyday, the cinema gives you total difference experiences. For example, you can experience 3D visual effect in the cinema. But you can't do it at home.

If the movie is appealing, you will be fully focused and have no time to care about someone who eat pop-corn.
Jul 20, 2011 20:27
  • SUNNYDAY
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP View Post

I can't. This week, I will go to the cinema to watch Transformers.

Sunnyday, the cinema gives you total difference experiences. For example, you can experience 3D visual effect in the cinema. But you can't do it at home.

If the movie is appealing, you will be fully focused and have...

But watching movie at home is more comfortable. THe cinema is too dark for me. Mostly, it is a way for me to kill time . So it doesn't matter if the visual effect is best or not.
Jul 20, 2011 21:16
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDAY

But watching movie at home is more comfortable. THe cinema is too dark for me. Mostly, it is a way for me to kill time . So it doesn't matter if the visual effect is best or not.

Yes. I do watch movies at home. I usually buy some snacks and lie on my bed to watch the movies. It is a good way to kill time. But the movies like Transformers and Avatar are really worth being watched at the cinemas though the tickets are a bit expensive.
Jul 21, 2011 06:08
GUEST19140 I must agree that watching certain movies on a big screen is a better experience than watching them at home.

Waiting for the DVD to become available and watching at home is an alternative, in case you are bothered by the discomforts of the large theaters.

What's the price of a movie ticket in China?
Jul 23, 2011 21:45
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST19140

I must agree that watching certain movies on a big screen is a better experience than watching them at home.

Waiting for the DVD to become available and watching at home is an alternative, in case you are bothered by the discomforts of the large theaters.

What's the price of a movie ticket in China?

It depends on what kind of movie you watch. The ticket for 3D movie is very expensive. Take Transformers 3 for example, the ticket varies from CNY 100 to CNY 180 in different cities in China. The ticket for 2D Transformers costs CNY 70-90. The tickets for Chinese movies are cheaper.
Jul 27, 2011 01:23
  • LAUGH
Raindrop, did you watch the Transformers 3? I haven't watched the Transformers 3 but this movie receives many critics for planting 4 Chinese ads. Someone said it was very funny and worth watching, especially when the scientist said "I have to drink my Shuhua Milk."
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A silly question: “Why do we eat popcorn when we are at the cinema?”
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code