Menu
Chinese mothers-in-law become angry after China issues an explanation on the Marriage Law
Aug 14, 2011 02:03
  • JIMMYB
According to Xinhua News Agency, China issues an explanation on the Marriage Law. The explanation on the settlement of real estate disputes in divorce has upset many Chinese mothers-in-law.

According to the explanation, a house bought by parents and registered under their child’s name remains the child’s personal property after the child gets married. It means the other part in the marriage will not co-own the house. However, it the house is purchased by both sides of parents, the house can be split according to each side’s contribution once their kids divorce.

On the other side, the one who bought the property by monthly installments before marriage will own the property after divorce, even the property was registered during the marriage. However, the other part can require compensation if he/she pay for the loans.

Most Chinese mothers-in-law are very angry about the explanation. Why? If the boy’s parents bought a house for him, his wife will not become the co-owner of the property. What can they do?

First, Chinese mothers-in-aw have to add more condition---If you want to marry my daughter, you have to add her name on the property ownership certificate. Well, not all boys will agree to do that.

Second, the mothers-in-law can ask the boy to give a lot of money as betrothal gifts. Then they can take out some money to buy a house for their daughter and son-in-law together with the boy’s parents.

PS: the new explanation says that the women in the marriage can decide to abort or not and the men have no right to interfere. What if the women take this as a chip to require the men to add her name on the property ownership certificate?
Aug 15, 2011 02:04
  • CHARLOTT
the new explanation says that the women in the marriage can decide to abort or not and the men have no right to interfere. What if the women take this as a chip to require the men to add her name on the property ownership certificate?

This is funny. I just feel that people just marry for a house, not for love after reading this. Really disgusting. Today, my colleague told me a story about his friend. His friend broke with his girlfriend several months ago. Later, the friends of his friend recommended two girls to him but they both refused to meet the boy.

The first girl learnt that the boy bought an apartment on installments after his parents paid the first payment and just said "A man who buys an apartment with the help of his parents is incapable. I don't want to marry an incapable man."

The second girl asked the "match-maker" two questions and then refused to meet the boy. Firstly, she asked "Does he own an apartment?". The match-maker said "Yes, he is decorating his apartment now." Secondly, she asked "Did he buy the apartment on installments or pay all the money at once?" The match-maker said "By installments." Finally, the girl said "I don't want to pay the rest loans with him."

These two girls can not represent all Chinese girls but they have one thing in common: Never marry a man without a house. A marrige without a house is doomed to failure.

Aug 15, 2011 14:13
GUEST75119 Judging by the price of apartments in large cities now, I guess men are going to be quite old before they can save enough to buy a property outright with no mortgage or assistance from parents.

In the west it is normal for property loans to be 25 or 30 year duration, and usually when a couple split up, if both contributed to the home, everything is split 50:50. If there are kids the wife (presuming she has care of the kids) can get more, plus child care payments. Looking after kids during a marriage counts as contributing.
Aug 15, 2011 21:04
  • LINGYUXISU
It seems there are many problems with the new marridge law. Get to the root of the matter, I think it's also about money.
Aug 15, 2011 21:39
  • BBQQ
Charlott,

I am happy that your friend’s friend didn’t meet the two girls. Otherwise, he will ruin his life by marrying such girls.

I appreciate that the first girl attaches importance on her future husband’s capability. But she should be aware that most young men in China can not afford to buy an apartment unless their families are rich.

The second girl will not find a man who is willing to marry her unless she finds an old rich man to be her husband.

Both girls have very high requirements on their future husbands. But haven’t they thought about this before? Will men who meet their requirements marry girls like them?

Wake up, there are fewer women who is as lucky as Cinderella in fairy tales.
Aug 20, 2011 04:33
GUEST19140 This it how it goes:

- when they are in their twenties, the beautiful girls have a long list of material things they want "right now" from their intented husbands, but they offer very little in return.

- when they turn 30, the list shrinks considerably and they offer a little more. Just desparate to find a husband.

- when they turn 40, the list is gone and they offer a lot. "Is there anybody for me? they ask.

- when they turn 50, they're just out of the game.

Girls, look for a quality man with character, not some rich boy.
Aug 22, 2011 21:16
  • RAINDROP
GUEST19140, it is true. So men should be patient and wait for years t marry a woman who is around 40 because such a woman has no requirements.
Aug 23, 2011 22:41
  • KEVIN0518
My friends and I discussed this too. Girls think it is unfair because their contributions to their families can not be measured by just money standards. In most families, wives need to bear a kid, take care of the kid and their husband, clean the house and cook dishes etc. Once they divorce, they gain little compensation. Unlike men, girls can hardly find a man to marry after they divorce, especially with a kid. Why? They are no beautiful and young any more. Men are different. There is a saying "A man who divorced once is like a treasure but who divorced twice is just like the weed." Many women want that "treasure".

But I just think that the explanation to the marriage law put the husbands into dilemma. His parents spend all their saving buying an apartment for him but the mother-in=law and her daughter wants to get 1/2 of the apartment. If he doesn't agree, his wife might leave. If he agrees, what can he say to his parents once his wife gets 1/2 of the apartment after divorce?
Aug 23, 2011 23:04
  • KEVIN0518
But the explanations ensure men's right as a father and women's right as a mother. According to the explanations, the court may rule against the party who refuses to undergo a DNA test to ascertain paternity and fails to present evidence to contradict the other side's claims, as long as the other side can support his or her claims with bona fide evidence.

On the other hand, Women's rights to decide whether or not to bear children are duly protected because women can decide to terminate a pregnancy and men can not interfere.

Aug 24, 2011 04:44
  • BBQQ
If love exists in both sides' hearts, a house can never be a problem. A popular message on the micro blog says "骂新婚姻法不好的女人都是没本事的女人,夸新婚姻法好的男人是准备离婚的男人。正儿八经的家庭哪用得着婚姻法。" The rough translation is "The women who hate the new marriage law must be incapable. The men who praise the new marriage law are about to divorce. A happy family never cares about the new marriage law."

Both husband and wife should read this sentence hundreds of times.
Aug 24, 2011 09:01
GUEST19140
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP

GUEST19140, it is true. So men should be patient and wait for years t marry a woman who is around 40 because such a woman has no requirements.

From what I've seen, many Chinese women in their early 40s look terrific. Much better looking than western women in their 40s (Just ask LOKI).

That's why you see so many of them marry those foreigners.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese mothers-in-law become angry after China issues an explanation on the Marriage Law
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code