Menu
Foreigners, did you experience “joking in bridal chamber (闹洞房)"?
Sep 30, 2011 02:38
  • RAINDROP
Joking in bridal chamber is the last procedure as well as the climax of a wedding ceremony. When the night falls, the relatives and friends sit in the bridal chamber to tease the bride and the groom, expressing their congratulations to them, The bride and the groom usually are required to make performances in front of their relatives and friends. No matter what happens, the bride can not become angry.

According to the folk customs, people joke the bride and the groom to expel the evil things in the chamber. Old people believe that there are fox spirits, ghosts and other things in the bride and groom’s room. Thus, many people come into the room to tease the bride and expel the evil things.

Today, Chinese people are still observing this old tradition. But some people do it too far, I mean, joking the bride and groom. Look at this couple: the groom has a bag of food in front of his chest with several ring-pull can tied to his feet. His face was also painted in red. See, he is distributing cigarettes to the people on the street.

I am curious to know whether you guys who are married to Chinese girls were teased when you got married.

Oct 12, 2011 03:39
  • LAUGH
It is their custom. But I still think it inappropriate to do this in streets. Once a groom with his shorts only danced in streets to celebrate his wedding. He drew much attention from the public. He caused the traffic jam. Getting married is a happy thing. But he had gone way to far. It was their friends' idea.
Oct 14, 2011 22:04
  • SUNNYDREAM
Thank you, Raindrop. It's the first time that I have learned the origin of 闹洞房.

闹洞房 was popular in my hometown when I was in high school. Friends come into the newly-wedded couple's room to make fun of them. I remembered that there was an apple biting activity. A guy hangs an apple on the mutton thread and ask the couple to bite the apple at the same time. It is not as easy as we think. The guy will pull the thread when the couple almost bite the apple. As a result, their lips press together. Very funny.

Last edited by SUNNYDREAM: Oct 14, 2011 22:07
Oct 17, 2011 08:59
  • CARLOS
After meeting me the first time my mother in law had said that he is a man who gets angry quickly.
Perhaps that´s the reason no one came to make fun of me...

She was wrong but in the right time, I think...

Carlos
Oct 18, 2011 01:26
  • JIMMYB
Haha, it maybe one of the reasons. I guess that your mother in law, Chinese friends etc think that you don't know much about 闹洞房. They don't make you embarrassed.

In some places, some "improper" activities might be held. You know what I mean. I hope that no one will come to make fun of me on my wedding night.
Oct 20, 2011 12:36
  • CARLOS
I know absolutely nothing about 闹洞房.

That really would be embarrassing if one would not understand to be embarrassed. I wouldn´t.

Carlos
Oct 22, 2011 03:53
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLOS

I know absolutely nothing about 闹洞房.

That really would be embarrassing if one would not understand to be embarrassed. I wouldn´t.

Carlos

You were lucky. I was the best man when my good friend got married. We teased him and the bride just for fun.
Oct 25, 2011 22:49
  • BBQQ
闹洞房 seems to have disappeared in my hometown. People become more civilized than before. I attended my friend's wedding ceremony. People all went back to their homes after the wedding banquet. They knew that the bride and the groom were very tired that day. It was better to let them have a rest.
Oct 29, 2011 03:45
  • XIAOXIAO
If I were the bride, I would feel very embarrassed.
Nov 17, 2011 20:08
GUESTBRYAN B... Hi dude! Where can I get additional information on this topic?
Nov 24, 2011 16:49
GUESTADAH POON Thanks for your entry! Honestly I have never read anything that informative.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigners, did you experience “joking in bridal chamber (闹洞房)"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code