Menu
2 yr old toddler run over in China
Oct 17, 2011 21:34
  • LARRYBOY
tweet15
Share1
Email
Print

BEIJING (Reuters) - Video footage of a two-year-old child run over by a van and ignored by passersby in China has ignited public uproar for what some are calling the immorality of modern society.

Graphic surveillance video of the incident on October 13 and later aired by a television station shows the girl run over by a van, which drives off leaving her to bleed on a narrow street in Foshan city, in the southern province of Guandong.

More than a dozen people over the next seven minutes walk or drive past the girl on bicycles and she is run over by a second truck, state media reported on Monday. A woman then pulls the girl to the side of the street before her mother, a migrant worker in the city, rushes into the frame.

The girl, now hospitalized, is in a coma, China's Xinhua news agency reported, citing doctors. The country's official English-language newspaper China Daily, said the girl had been declared "brain dead" and that she could die at any time.

Both drivers who ran over the girl have been arrested, Xinhua said, but Internet users have flooded microblogs decrying the apathy of the people who left her for dead.

China's economic boom and the growing disparity between the rich and poor have made changing social values a contentious topic, with some lamenting what they see as materialism replacing morals.

On China's Twitter-like microblog service, Sina's Weibo, one user called the incident "the shame of the Chinese people."

"Really, what is up with our society? I saw this and my heart went cold. Everyone needs to do some soul searching about ending this kind of indifference," another user who went by the name Xiaozhong001 wrote.

Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed. High-profile law suits have ended with good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help.

Is human life 2nd to money?
Oct 18, 2011 01:14
  • RAINDROP
I have been confused for a while. The society encourages people to do good things like helping the elderly, sicken and pregnant people. But why the government establishes some laws to protect those kind people’s interest?

The good people must have felt heartbroken when they are n insulted by the rescuees. The officials have to do something to make the good people believe that it is worthy of helping those who are in need of help.
Oct 18, 2011 01:16
  • RAINDROP
PS: If I were at the scene, I would have called the 120. But I am not sure if I would come by the toddler and take her away. The reason has been clearly stated above.
Oct 18, 2011 20:35
  • LOKI
I put all my joking and sillyness to the side right now......What has happened to people? Why a small child?
Oct 19, 2011 04:15
  • BBQQ
There are still good people in the world. The old lady who saved the girl and those who donated money to the girl's parents are good examples. The young girl's parents have received 270100.45 yuan. They said that they would declare all the payout and donate the left money to those who are in need of.
Oct 21, 2011 00:08
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQQ

There are still good people in the world. The old lady who saved the girl and those who donated money to the girl's parents are good examples. The young girl's parents have received 270100.45 yuan. They said that they would declare all the payout and donate the left money to those who are in need of.

Herein lies the cultural problem. You debase a personal tragedy and a blight on Chinese society with such talk of money. The old lady who moved the child to relative safety should be commended. The people who donated money to appease their vicarious guilty conscious should not. As if any amount money can compensate for the loss of a child. Ridiculous!
Oct 21, 2011 01:04
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

Herein lies the cultural problem. You debase a personal tragedy and a blight on Chinese society with such talk of money. The old lady who moved the child to relative safety should be commended. The people who donated money to appease their vicarious guilty conscious should not.

Bobert, I am with you on it. But we are not sure if all the money are donated by people who try to appease their vicarious guilty conscious. I guess that there are some people who just donate their money to the girl's famly for other reason. They are sympathetic with the girl and the girl's famly.

The report says that some young kids donated pennies to the girl's family. Can we say that they do it to appease their vicarious guilty conscious? Definitely not.

Money can not compensate the loss of a kid. But it shows some people's kindness.
Oct 21, 2011 04:22
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQQ

I guess that there are some people who just donate their money to the girl's famly for other reason. They are sympathetic with the girl and the girl's famly.

Money can not compensate the loss of a kid. But it shows some people's kindness.

You are wrong. Donating money is not kind. If I lost a child and people gave me money in the forlorn hope of relieving my suffering I would feel insulted. Anyone who believes money could alleviate the grief of a parent over a dead child is seriously misguided.

There is no sympathy shown in donating money. It simply places a monetary value on a dead child. It is entirely inappropriate to give money for the loss of a child. No amount of money can compensate for such a loss.
Oct 21, 2011 21:48
  • BBQQ
Bobert, I am not with you this time.

Money still can help those who are in need of help. It is difficult for an ordinary family to burden the ridiculous medical fees in China.

Suppose your kid suffers from a kind of bad illness and you can not afford to pay the medical fee, what are you going to do? Refuse other people's donation and rob a bank? Or just let him/her suffer from it?

Please forgive me. I am not cursing your family. Just a hypothesis.
Oct 21, 2011 22:40
  • BOBERT
BBQQ; Your argument is seriously flawed. The child is dead, not suffering from a "bad illness".
Oct 21, 2011 22:55
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT View Post

BBQQ; Your argument is seriously flawed. The child is dead, not suffering from a "bad illness".

Bobert, I am not trying you argue with you on this tragedy. Now I am eager to know your point. Donating money to the girl is not a kind or "donatiing money to the one who are in trouble or in need of help" is not kind.

When the girl was sent to the hospital, the doctors said that the girl was brain dead but they would do whatever they could to try. The best result was that the girl would become a vegetable.

People who donated the money wish a miracle would occour. Unfortunately, the girl died.

Please, I really want to know your answer to my question.

Or may I ask you this question "If you were the girl's parent, will you accept the donation from other people?"

Don't let me wait too long.

Last edited by BBQQ: Oct 21, 2011 22:57
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 2 yr old toddler run over in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code