Menu
What do you refer to when you prepare for your trips?
Apr 26, 2012 04:47
Voting without time limit
Multiple Vote
  1. 11 vote(s)
  2. 12 vote(s)
  3. 2 vote(s)
  4. 1 vote(s)
  5. 4 vote(s)
  6. 5 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
As an individual traveler, I prefer to gather as much information about my destination as I can before I go there. Then I write my itinerary according to what I have found. This isn’t enough. Aside from the itinerary, I also read many travelogs. It is good for me to revise my itinerary and avoid the travel traps mentioned in the travelogs.

The internet is the best tool for me to do these things. First, I search much informabion about my travel destination in google. Then, I try to search other travelers’ travelogs. I do these things every time I plan to travel. As a result, I have found some good websites. Thus, it becomes easier for me to plan my trip with the help of these websites.

Do you make out itineraries before you start your trip? If so, what do you refer to, internet, friends’ recommendation, TV programs etc?
May 4, 2012 22:19
  • RAINDROP
I prefer to seek information on the travel websites. If I can not find useful information, I will use the internet search engines to look for what I need.
May 7, 2012 13:47
  • WANHU
Friends. They provide better insights. When my family and I were on a transit in Istanbul, I contacted my friend who contacted his friend. Our 18-hour transit managed us to visit the famous Topkapi museum, Hagia Sophia, etc. When alone, I would just take travel brochures at the airport (or usually available before the immigration checkpoint). Unlike 30-40 years ago where places are not properly documented, now most countries, how "small" they may seem to be, have their own tourist attractions in the travel brochures, made available to tourists.
Wan
May 7, 2012 22:15
It’s good to have a lot of friends, Wan. Travel Brochures are useful. But I sometimes find them untrustworthy. Some are outdated like the official website of some scenic spots. Thus, I prefer to read the latest travelogues. They offer first hand information.
May 9, 2012 10:41
  • WANHU
It's true, some of the travel brochures are outdated, to me it's just a travel guide. Furthermore, what could I expect to see when there are many scenic spots in every city in China that I couldn't cover for a week visit.

During my student days using Cosmos, I visited six countries within ten days, what could I expect? I didn't need any travel brochures, but I brought back a lot of handouts and other relevant brochures for mementos. One thing for sure, the tour operator won't bring us to factories and shops for her commission.

Wan
May 9, 2012 23:17
Yes, handouts and brochures are nice souvenirs. I have collected all scenic spots entrance tickets I bought during my traveling. They are the best souvenirs to me.

“One thing for sure, the tour operator won't bring us to factories and shops for her commission.”

Wan, how do the tour operators or tour guides make their livings if they do not bring their clients to the factories or shops for her commission?

One of my friends is a tour guide. She told me that she had no choice but bring her clients to factories or shops to get commission because her salary was too low.

As you know, Chinese travelers don’t have the habit of tipping their tour guides. Thus, a tour guide has to find out a way to increase their income. Bringing their clients to the factories or shops is a good way.
May 11, 2012 02:17
  • WANHU
Well Lonely, I was talking about Europe, and there was no tipping too.
Wan
May 11, 2012 02:23
  • WANHU
FYI, Thailand also the same. The motorcycle taxi in Bangkok called Tuktuk will get free fuel voucher by bringing in customers. One time when I was in Beijing at the Beijing South Railway Station from Tianjin, was offered to tour Tiananmen Square for 600 Yuan.
Wan
May 12, 2012 22:59
Wan, it seems that this phenomenon just happens in Asian countries. Is it true that you do not tip the tour guides in the European countries?
May 14, 2012 15:38
  • WANHU
They never asked. We paid what's mentioned on the ticket or receipt. Even during short trip, for example in Scotland, from Edinburgh to Inverness, Loch Lomond, etc. (for a day trip to the Highlands), we only paid what was written in the travel brochure. In some Arab countries, it is written on the dashboard of the bus, not to give tips.
Wan
May 14, 2012 15:43
  • WANHU
Airports in China we don't see people scrambling to push your trolleys like in India. They touched and pushed your trolley, then they will ask you to pay for their porter service.
Wan
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you refer to when you prepare for your trips?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code