Menu
What do you refer to when you prepare for your trips?
May 14, 2012 21:39
Nice to hear these things about European Countries. Now I am dreaming of traveling there.

Wan, I once saw a tour guide cursed at some of her clients when they left. You know why? She didn't get enough tips as she expected. Her clients were a group of foreigners (I couldn't tell where they were from).

I used Chinese airlines' service and didn't see any guys trying to push my trolley. I guess that it was because I am a Chinese. They knew that they couldn't be tipped.
May 16, 2012 09:25
  • WANHU
Lonely, try to find ways how to travel "cheap". The tpur guide I suppose a Chinese, right? Those foreigners are not accustomed to paying tips.
Wan
May 16, 2012 23:18
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Lonely, try to find ways how to travel "cheap". The tpur guide I suppose a Chinese, right? Those foreigners are not accustomed to paying tips.
Wan

Yes, a Chinese tour guide. I should say that foreigners become smart. They do not give 'many tips' to their tour guides. Another friend of mine is also a tour guide. She told me that she once received 2 yuan from a foreigner. This never happened before.

May 17, 2012 00:52
  • WANHU
Maybe they don't become smart, but rather not used to giving tips. 2 Yuan? Probably it's the last Chinese note he has in his wallet and doesn't want to bring back.
Wan
May 20, 2012 02:21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Maybe they don't become smart, but rather not used to giving tips. 2 Yuan? Probably it's the last Chinese note he has in his wallet and doesn't want to bring back.
Wan

It's possible. But some foreigners do become smart. At the beginning, they give USD as tips. At present, they change USD to RMB and give RMB as tips.
May 20, 2012 09:46
  • WANHU
From my experience, I never bring USD to China because the bank will charge for the exchange rate besides other charges. Usually I will change into CNY in my country before embarking my journey. I use authorised money changer instead of banks. Probably other foreigners use the same modus operandi.
Wan
May 20, 2012 23:16
Wan, I do not know where they exchange the money. But they seldom give USD as tips today. Because of the exchange rates, USD is much more valuable than CNY.
May 21, 2012 00:18
  • WANHU
It should be a lesson to tour guides in China that tips are not part of the fixed income. When accepting the job as a tour guide, look at the salary offered and try to exclude tips and other perks except basic salary and fixed allowance(s).

Probably only businessmen need a business guide, while most leisure and casual travellers, they they can browse the area or city at their own pace, no hurry. I used to ask a foreigner in Beijing about a guide, he told me he came to China for sightseeing and he has all the information either on the net or by reading maps and travelogues. Why pay RMB400+ per day for a guide when you easily can travel on your own and spend less than RMB50? Time indeed has changed.

Wan
May 22, 2012 03:04
Wan,

The tour guides can imporve their service to make their clients give tips willingly. This is a win-win situation. Their clients have a happy trip and the tour guide get the tips.

You are right. Today, it is much more convenient to gain enough information about the sight-seeing places. It is no need of hiring a tour guide.
May 22, 2012 04:32
  • WANHU
It's only my experience, Lonely. Maybe others need tour guide. Most of the time, I'd travel alone, if I lose my way, I have only myself to blame.
Wan
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you refer to when you prepare for your trips?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code