Menu
Happy Mother's Day!
Nov 9, 2012 22:44
  • WANHU
They are warm-hearted but unfortunately can't communicate in English. Even with the traffic police I had to talk like in the western movies, when the 'paleface' had to talk with the Comanche medicine man.
Wan
Nov 11, 2012 03:03
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

They are warm-hearted but unfortunately can't communicate in English. Even with the traffic police I had to talk like in the western movies, when the 'paleface' had to talk with the Comanche medicine man.
Wan

Here is the way. Bring two local maps with you (one printed in local language and the other in English). Show the locals the local map so that they can direct you the way. Then compare the route in English map. I am sure you won't get lost again.
Nov 12, 2012 17:25
  • WANHU
That was in 2004, my first time to Chai Wan trying to negotiate the price for Reader's Digest books, nowadays we can always "Google" out and check prior to our journey, which underground tube station to stop. Lonely, during my student days, I used road/street maps all the time during my holiday vacations, which could easily be acquired at any petrol kiosk (especially in UK) or near the immigration counters. I was on a shoestring and not much to carry.
Wan
Nov 13, 2012 01:15
Every time I reach the Xian railway station, there are some people hold wards of maps. They stick the map to every passenger who passes by and say "Do you need a map?" Most maps in their hands are pirated. I never by maps from them.

Today, I don't need maps anymore. I have a smart phone equipped with Google, Baidu and Autonavi maps. I use them together with GPS to guide me if I am lost. It's very convenient.
Nov 13, 2012 03:36
  • WANHU
Most maps near the immigration counters are free, Lonely.
Wan
Nov 14, 2012 20:00
Quote:

Most maps near the immigration counters are free, Lonely.
Wan

Wan,

I haven't been abroad before and don't know there are free maps near the imigration counters. Anyway, a smartphone is enough for me when I go to any city in mainland China.
Nov 14, 2012 22:03
  • WANHU
If your smartphone can be used abroad, you may use the electronic map. Most airports have wifi facility for you to Google the map(s).
Wan
Nov 15, 2012 00:24
Quote:

If your smartphone can be used abroad, you may use the electronic map. Most airports have wifi facility for you to Google the map(s).
Wan

Wan, I know that many airports have free wifi service. But I can't use my smart phone with my Chinese number. You know, the data roaming fee is very expensive.
Nov 19, 2012 06:04
  • WANHU
I didn't know that you have to pay for using free wifi facility. Usually I would use my laptop at the airport for some information or chatting with friends.
Wan
Nov 19, 2012 21:06
Quote:

I didn't know that you have to pay for using free wifi facility. Usually I would use my laptop at the airport for some information or chatting with friends.
Wan

Wan, you misunderstood me. I didn't make it clear. The wifi service is free. Well, not all places have wifi service. If I stayed at a place with no wifi service abroad, then I had to use internet service offered by my Telecom operator. In this case, I have to pay not only the data fee but also roaming fee.

Page 10 of 10    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Happy Mother's Day!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code