Menu
Happy Mother's Day!
Oct 20, 2012 01:15
  • WANHU
is it difficult to work for the government?
Wan
Oct 22, 2012 21:58
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

is it difficult to work for the government?
Wan

Haha, I can answer your question. Yes, it is very difficult. In order to become a civil official, you need to take an exam. The exam includes Chinese, Math, Geography, History and other questions/problems. It's difficult to finish it on time. If you are lucky and pass the exam, you will enter the second round exam (Interview). Usually, there will be at least 3 candidates who enter the second round. If you get best score in the first and second exams, you will become an civil servant.

Sorry, before taking the exam in the first round, you have to pass the qualification examination. If you fail to pass the qualification exam, you will not be allowed to take the exam next round.

Wan,

You may not know how fierce the competition is. Sometimes, around three hundred or five hundred people compete for one position. Of course the position is very popular and can bring them good benefits. How can you make sure you can acquire that position? If you have money, then bribe the examiner and the related department leaders. If you have 'connection', you will have great chance to win that position.

Oct 29, 2012 14:50
  • WANHU
Dear BBQQ, China is a big country, almost like a continent, with population more than 1.3 billion including Taiwan, HK SAR and Macau SAR. Malaysia has only 1.2 million of government servants or civil servants. We don't have great competition except for one particular post, namely Malaysian Civil Service (MCS) and now known as Administrative and Diplomatic Officer, where after undergoing examination, various levels of interview and aptitude tests, they need to undergo 9 months of training before being commissioned as an officer. For other posts, such as engineers and architects, they need to be members of the said body, namely Institute of Engineers and Malaysian Architect Association (more or less less like Royal Institute of British Architect) for them to practise.

There are various posts and levels, but to be an office boy or a despatch clerk he doesn't need to undergo examinations, aptitude test and various levels of interviews, enough with 5 years of secondary education, a Malaysian Certificate of Education, and good health certified by government hospital/doctors.

To bribe in the interviewers and officers of the board is not easy because i) they are appointed to interview candidates at different locations, ii) there are at least 3 panels of interviewers from various government bodies at one location, iii) decision will be done by the board of Public Service Commission. For a post of civil engineer for example, the panel may be i) Director-General or officer represents the Director-General that needs the post, ii) officer from Public Service Department, and iii) Manpower Unit under the Prime Minister's Department. Sometimes two officers from the department that has the vacancy.

We have the marking scheme, usually in 8 columns, i) Academic qualification(s), ii) General Knowledge, iii) Knowledge about the job applied, iv) Attitude, v) Proficiency of language(s), vi) Other knowledge, vii) Personality (attire, the way he talks, how he sits, etc.), and viii) Activity (such as sports, community involvement, etc).

Wan
Oct 29, 2012 22:12
  • BBQQ
Wan, the large number of population is a factor that makes the competition fierce. I don't know when I find this information. A post attracts around 9400 people to compete. But some vacancies are empty because no one wants to take it.

See? Those who take in the exams don't want to serve the people. They just want a stable job with good salary.
Nov 5, 2012 08:52
  • WANHU
It may be true, but every employee needs to undergo annual assessment, how one performs. He has target to achieve, failing which his salary won't be raised. For a good post such as Administrative and Diplomatic Officer, he needs to understand all kinds of jobs, thus he has to undergo training with the army/navy, police, and even crossing the rough rivers. The jobs are scarce, for 200 posts in 2008, more than 40000 graduated applied.
Wan
Nov 5, 2012 21:30
  • BBQQ
Wanhu,

Civil officials won't have their salaries raised if they fail in the annual assessment. Is this the most severe punishment they receive?

In private companies, some employees might lose their jobs in the same situation.
Last edited by BBQQ: Nov 5, 2012 21:31
Nov 6, 2012 18:49
  • WANHU
If they failed in their assessment, they need to undergo certain courses, to provide them second chance to redeem themselves. Should that also fail, then a letter of intent to terminate will be issued. To work for the government is based on rules and regulations, so is the termination. At the same time HRD will see of their other potentials to contribute under continuous improvement programme for civil servants . So far, those failing in their annual assessment are relatively small, the same also with gross misconduct, such as those involved in graft, absent without official leave, etc. The most senior officer in civil service, Chief Secretary to the Government, always reminds the civil servants that we have a promise to keep, to serve the public to our best ability.
Wan
Nov 6, 2012 20:14
  • BBQQ
Wanhu,

To be frank, I don't care about whether they can pass the annual assessment or not. I just hope that they can be friendly and warm-hearted to help us when we come to them.

You know, some civil servants do have bad attitude. My friend Lee's job is to deal with civil servants in Bureau of Labour and Social Security. Once she consulted something with one civil servant, the guy just said a word "Read the regulation on your own!" If she could understand the regulation, she wouldn't have consulted it with him.

She was angry at that moment. But she still smiled and asked him to tell her about the regulation. You know why? Once you let them pissed off, they might make troubles for you.
Nov 7, 2012 04:57
  • WANHU
Assessment is to gauge their performance. If they failed, means they didn't perform as expected. We have Public Complaints Bureau that will take immediate action once a complaint is lodged. In China, I like Hong Kong, fast and efficient. Once i lost my way in Chai Wan and the traffic police showed me the way (the Reader's Digest Office).
Wan
Nov 7, 2012 21:54
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I usually don't ask traffic police for direction. The middle aged or old people are warm-hearted if you ask them for direction.
Page 9 of 10    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Happy Mother's Day!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code