Menu
Types of fish
May 15, 2012 13:14
  • WANHU
There are at least three types of fish, marine or seawater fish, freshwater fish and river mouth fish with salinity between 10-31 ppt (parts per thousand). Another strange phenomenon is either seawater fish that migrates to the river or freshwater fish that migrates to the sea -- for spawning. When I visited China, I seldom find seawater fish such as red snapper, garoupa, etc. but instead freshwater fish with lots of fine bones. In Hong Kong garoupa is very expensive. Where can I find seawater fish in China? Which restaurant would you recommend for dining that serves seawater fish?
May 16, 2012 01:39
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan, actually many restaurants serve seawater fish. But the prices are different. If you want some seawater fish, better go to Sanya and other cities in Southern China.

You seem to be very familiar with Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Can't you find some restaurants that serve seawater fish?
May 16, 2012 09:33
  • WANHU
Well Sunnydream, most of those restaurants need advanced booking. Smaller restaurants still provide aquarium fishes which mostly freshwater species. But I found Hong Kong has better seawater fish.
Wan
May 16, 2012 16:01
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDREAM

You seem to be very familiar with Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Can't you find some restaurants that serve seawater fish?

I'm not that familiar with these two cities, too large areas to cover. In Shenzhen for example, out of six districts I only managed to go to Futian and Luohu districts, while in Guangzhou, out of 12 districts, usually my travel restricts to Liwan and Yuexiu districts, and occasional visit to Tienhe and Haizhu. What can you expect for 7 days per visit? Only in December, my visit will be longer around 2-4 weeks but then sometimes I need to travel from Tianjin-Beijing-Shanghai-Guangzhou-Shenzhen-HK.
Wan
May 16, 2012 22:45
  • SUNNYDREAM
I am sorry, Wan. I thought you had been to China many times and you should have been familiar with Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

You may find seawater fish in Sanya. But be very careful with the sellers. If you haven't decided to buy it, please do not point at them. Otherwise, the seller will bang the fish and weigh it and then give it to you. You have no choice but pay for it. If not, some strong men might appear.

Anyway, Sanya has become a notorious destination and I won't go there.
May 16, 2012 23:40
  • WANHU
My late father in-law's father was from Sanya but I haven't had the opportunity to go there except Haikou. It was only for three hours, meeting a friend.

Sunnydream, I may have been to China for more than fifty times, and the Chinese visa section is kind enough to provide me a multiple-entry Chinese F-visa for 24 months, but my movements are restricted with things I need to attend. Most of time, my responses in TCG are purely based from my experience rather than knowledge, to share with others.
Wan
May 17, 2012 00:05
  • WANHU
In Malaysia and Thailand, restaurateurs prefer seabass (Thai called it Krapong fish). Seabass is seawater fish usually live between sea and river. I prefer sweet n sour garoupa or red snapper fish head curry. My hometown is not far from the sea so I know a few names of seawater fishes available on sale in the wet market.
Wan
May 20, 2012 02:37
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan, I am from the Northern China. Honestly, I do not have many chances to eat seafood. They are sold very expensive in northern China.

Next time, you visit your father in law, you may ask him to bring you to taste the seafood in Hainan. He is local there and you needn't worry about being ripped off.
May 20, 2012 09:16
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

My late father in-law's father was from Sanya but I haven't had the opportunity to go there except Haikou. It was only for three hours, meeting a friend.
Wan

It means he has passed away (in 1987), dear Sunnydream. No apologise needed.
Wan
May 21, 2012 01:16
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

It means he has passed away (in 1987), dear Sunnydream. No apologise needed.
Wan

I didn't read your post carefully. It's my fault. Crucian carp and bean curd soup is my favorite. It tastes mild but fresh.

May 21, 2012 05:28
  • WANHU
I like bean curd, but not so much of freshwater when compared to seawater fish. Sometimes I add red dates and wolfberry (goji) to the soup.
Wan
Page 1 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Types of fish
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code