Menu
Pickled mustard green
May 27, 2012 05:02
  • DAVEC
I am starting to get addicted to this stuff and can buy it easily from my local asian stores.

What sort of recipes do you use to cook it?
May 28, 2012 03:37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

I am starting to get addicted to this stuff and can buy it easily from my local asian stores.

What sort of recipes do you use to cook it?

2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1⁄4 cup white vinegar
1⁄2 lb. Asian mustard greens
3 red or green serrano chiles, split lengthwise

1. In a small saucepan, combine 2 cups water, sugar, salt, and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then remove from heat. Cool slightly.

2. Using a paring knife, trim stems of washed mustard greens from leaves. Cut stems into 2" pieces and place in a 1-quart measuring cup. Coarsely chop enough greens to fill the measuring cup when added to stems and packed down gently.

3. Pack stems, leaves, and chiles into a clean glass 1-quart jar. Pour hot liquid onto greens, making sure that the stems are completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 days before serving.
May 28, 2012 11:26
  • WANHU
Lonely, it seems like a British recipe, with quarts and pounds.

During the International Book fair early this month in Kuala Lumpur, Marshall & Cavendish (a renowned Publisher) sold some cookbooks, and I bought a few Chinese Cooking books which were sold at RMB10 (MYR5) each. I would browse through whenever I have free time.
Wan
May 29, 2012 02:01
Yes, I found this recipe on the internet. I am not sure that Dave can make delicious pickled mustard green referring to this recipe.

I will find a Chinese recipe and post it here if Dave failed with the above recipe.
May 29, 2012 04:50
  • WANHU
Lonely, not many young people now know what is qt (quart), oz, and lb., haha.
Wan
May 30, 2012 01:47
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Lonely, not many young people now know what is qt (quart), oz, and lb., haha.
Wan

I guess that Davec is familiar with these English units. He is from GB.
May 30, 2012 09:42
  • WANHU
In those days the local Chinese in Malaysia used picul, tahil, catty, pound, ounce, etc for weight measurement. Calculation was with abacus. Some Chinese medical halls are still using abacus to calculate instead of electronic calculator.
Wan
May 30, 2012 14:36
  • DAVEC
hmm, seems like a good recipe and easy to do. Taitai loves her chilli so it may be a favourite for her.

I will cook it next week and let you know what its like.
May 30, 2012 21:24
Wan,

Chinese people use metric unit system today. But the ancient measurements are still preferred in some places like traditional Chinese medicine clinics.
May 30, 2012 21:25
Dave,

Please tell me no matter you succeed or fail to make it. If you fail, I will find some more recipes for you.
May 31, 2012 06:15
  • WANHU
Most people today do not know those oz., lb., etc. During one of my brain teaser's classes, I did:

lb. lb. lb. lb.
------------
weight

but they can;t grasp the answer as they don't know the meaning of lb.

Wan
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Pickled mustard green
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code