Menu
How many flies should be in the public toilets?
May 29, 2012 03:31
  • KEVIN0518
Recently, Beijing has set new standards for the public toilets. One of the stipulations states clearly that there should be less than two flies in the public toilets.

The authorities never thought that this stipulation had drawn much attention from the public. Although the officials have explained that the stipulation on flies was meant for easy monitoring, the public and media doubt whether it could be enforced.

Do we have to arrange a person to count the number of the flies in the public toilets? What if some intruders come in?

“If there is only one fly in the public, he/she must feel lonely. If there are two, a male and a female, they won’t feel lonely. See, the stipulation fully shows the authorities’ humanism care to the flies.”, a netizen said.

PS: Beijing is not the only city that stipulates the number of flies in the public. Xian and Nanchang set the number of flies below 3. Nanjing requires that there should be less than 5 flies in the public toilets while Sanya has no tolerance of flies in the toilets, meaning there shouldn’t be a fly.

May 30, 2012 09:19
  • WANHU
In management school it is called client's charter, sometimes can never be enforced. For example a public hospital promises only 15 minutes queuing time for a patient but most of the time, due to many patients/customers, I used to wait for 40 minutes for registration. If it breaks the charter far too many, definitely it will be an NC.
Wan
May 30, 2012 22:31
Funny! I guess that a mosquito net is needed to protect the public toilet to ensure that there will not be more flies.

Seriously, the number of the flies is not the only standard to measure if the toilet is clean. Make sure the toilet isn't smelly and the floor is clean. As a result, there will be no flies.
May 31, 2012 05:13
  • WANHU
I never go to public toilet in China except in hotels. One time I had a need to go to the toilet, and I was at Huaqiangbei, there were a few public toilets, but still, I walked to a hotel next to Shanghai (bin guan) to ease myself.
Wan
Jun 3, 2012 01:20
Wan,

I have to say that you can enter the hotel to pee because you are a foreigner. Most hotels do not allow outsiders (Chinese people) to use their toilets.
Jun 3, 2012 22:10
  • WANHU
Most locals can recognise a foreigner. Many salespersons in SZ talked to me in Chinese although some words I could understand but could never able to reply back. Maybe they thought I'm a Malaysian Chinese?
Jun 4, 2012 22:51
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Most locals can recognise a foreigner. Many salespersons in SZ talked to me in Chinese although some words I could understand but could never able to reply back. Maybe they thought I'm a Malaysian Chinese?

Haha, I don't know. Next time, you come together with your Chinese and do an experiment:

Let your Chinese friend enter a hotel and tell them that he needs to pee. I'd like to know if they'd allow him to use their toilets.

I do not know when I read this report. A 63 years old lady wanted to use the toilet at a bank but was refused. The security told her that only the people who work at the bank were allowed to use the toilet. As a result, the old lady wetted her pants at the bank. All customers noted it.
Jun 4, 2012 23:15
Wan, here is another piece of news.

A man went to a branch of China Construction Bank to withdraw money with her wife. They queued up and waited. A few minutes later, he wanted to use the toilet. So he asked the security man “Where can I find a toilet?”. The security man answered “There is no toilet”.

Then he went out to find a public toilet but failed to find any. He came back to the bank and asked again. The security man answered “There is no toilet inside the bank. Please find it outside.” He felt angry, went to the reception and asked “Is there a toilet at the bank? ”. The girl said “The toilet is only available for us.”

30 minutes later, he felt that he had to pee. Then he came to the security man again. However, the security man still asked him to find a toilet outside. He felt angry and peed at a dust bin. The security man saw him and tried to stop him. Then they quarreled and started to fight. Suddenly, three armed men with guns in their hands came in. The depositor was controlled and sent to the police station.

At the police station, the depositor calmed down and agreed to apologize for his behavior. But he said that his head was hit by someone and there were two guns on his head too when he fought with the security man. So he required the bank to compensate him. Otherwise, he would sue the bank.

At last, they made a deal. The depositor apologized for his behavior and paid CNY 500 to the security man. The bank paid CNY 600 to the depositor as compensation.
Jun 6, 2012 00:48
  • WANHU
Lonely, would you believe that some places I visited in India have no public toilets?
Wan
Jun 10, 2012 02:59
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Lonely, would you believe that some places I visited in India have no public toilets?
Wan

Yes, I do believe. Sometimes a wall and several pieces of bricks can be a toilet.

Jun 10, 2012 11:42
  • WANHU
Don't forget the trees too.
Wan
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How many flies should be in the public toilets?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code