Menu
Do we really have to seal the road?
Jun 10, 2012 04:39
College entrance examination is probably the most important to the Chinese students and their parents. After 15 years study (3 years in kindergarten, 6 years in primary school and 6 years in middle school), all Chinese students have to participate in the college examination. All of them their best in the exams, hoping earning good marks so that they can enter top universities. To them, top universities can benefit them with good jobs after graduation. And good jobs bring them good life.

In Nanjing, more than 100 parents sealed a road near the school to prevent anyone passing through because their children were taking English exam in the school. They wanted to create a quiet environment for them to finish the listening comprehension.

Well, some of the passers-by understood how important the exams mean to the parents’ children. Thus, they left or waited there quietly.

Some other passers-by were very angry. “No matter how important the exams are, they shouldn’t have sealed the road. I was a student once and did participate in the college entrance exams. We all put on earphones when taking the English exam. It’s too quiet after putting on the earphone. It is not necessary to seal the road. One more thing, our actual life isn’t so quiet. When you meet a foreigner on the street, do you expect your dad and mom to seal the road to make a very quiet environment so that you can fully understand what the foreigner says?”, a netizen wrote.

Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Jun 10, 2012 04:39
Jun 10, 2012 11:41
  • WANHU
Now I'm feeling old because during my time we rarely saw kindergartens, and nowadays only two years (max) in kindergartens. Kindergartens in those days were meant for the selected fews, who had extra money to spend. Then came Montessori for early childhood education, still quite expensive and new approaches to kindergarten are sprucing up. The die-hard followers of Montessori still maintain neither computer nor TV will be used, and we know that Maria Montessori died in 1952 even TV at that time was an expensive item.

In my country before the School Certificate is introduced, we used GCE O and A levels under the University of Cambridge Examination Syndicate. It is an entrance requirement for tertiary education. Those applying for TESL, architecture, and arts & design need to undergo interviews and certain tests.

Wan
Jun 10, 2012 22:37
Wan,

I read that many foreign medias have criticized the college entrance examination in China. They are right. Chinese students are very good at exams but they are very lack of practice. You know, one of my college roomates even couldn't change his quilt cover.
Jun 10, 2012 22:58
GUEST110 Too much! Sure it should be quiet, so that they can concentrate. But is it quiet in a Office building? Your work place? Only if you already have your own office you can expect a bit silence. (though not too much) The parents are just making it more difficult for the students later (also i think that parents dont have the right to block a road)
Jun 11, 2012 03:49
  • WANHU
I have observed a few friends who did English major. Their written English is superb, but they still translate from Chinese to English when they speak to me.
Wan
Jun 11, 2012 23:13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

I have observed a few friends who did English major. Their written English is superb, but they still translate from Chinese to English when they speak to me.
Wan

Haha, I believe that many English learners do the same thing as your friends. Me, one of them too. It might be something with thinking pattern.
Jun 12, 2012 03:08
  • WANHU
They sometimes refer to talking dictionary. Do you have one, dear Lonely?
Wan
Jun 20, 2012 21:34
Quote:

They sometimes refer to talking dictionary. Do you have one, dear Lonely?
Wan

No, no, no. I just equip a dictionary with my smart cellphone. My vacabulary is limited.
Jun 21, 2012 01:12
  • WANHU
That's good, Lonely. It's not convenient for me to refer to the dictionary most of the time. Anyway most Chinese I know, they pronounce "tune" as "twin". How do you pronounce that word?
Wan
Jun 24, 2012 03:47
Quote:

That's good, Lonely. It's not convenient for me to refer to the dictionary most of the time. Anyway most Chinese I know, they pronounce "tune" as "twin". How do you pronounce that word?
Wan

I can pronounce these two words correctly. But I can not prounce [æ] [e] very well.
Jun 24, 2012 11:41
  • WANHU
We have limitations and constraints, Journey. It doesn't mean when we can't pronounce certain words like others we are inferior. Just like some people can roll their tongues, and some cannot. Some can say "RRRRRRR' with their tongues and some would come out with "RLLLLL.". For me, I;d try to keep on trying until I believe I can't do it anymore.

My Chinese niece in Chongqing wanted to study Spanish, and I asked her to say the word with R ether starting, in the middle or ending. She couldn't, so I advised her to take French.
Wan
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do we really have to seal the road?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code