Menu
Do we really have to seal the road?
Jun 25, 2012 22:49
Wan,

Practice makes perfect. A classmate in my college from the Northern Shaanxi couldn't pronounce L and N very well. But he finally pronounced them correctly after practicing many times.
Jun 26, 2012 08:15
  • WANHU
Perhaps... but you can always ask people from Hubei, how to pronounce and differentiate L and N.
Wan
Jun 26, 2012 21:34
  • RAINDROP
I know someone can not differentiate L and N, as well as W and V. I think for those who can not correct it by practicing, they should better not choose Language as their major.

One of my teachers of phonetics once said, if you can not pronounce L & N correctly, you have problem of pronouncing one-third of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
Jun 26, 2012 22:25
  • WANHU
Actually not only Chinese, the Indians (especially Tamil) do not have the alphabet "W". Both "W" and "V" are the same.
Wan
Jun 26, 2012 22:31
  • WANHU
There were 6 candidates from Hubei who applied for the post of laoshi to teach Putonghua. Not only they pronounced Alley as Annie, 3 of them pronounced laoshi as laosi, and Shanghai as Sanghai.
Wan
Jun 26, 2012 23:04
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

There were 6 candidates from Hubei who applied for the post of laoshi to teach Putonghua. Not only they pronounced Alley as Annie, 3 of them pronounced laoshi as laosi, and Shanghai as Sanghai.
Wan

Better not let them be teachers. Wan, this reminds me of a math teacher in my high school. He is very old and nearly at retiring age. Sadly, he can't speak mandarin. He teaches us in local dialect. It is ok for us who are from countryside to understand what he says. But some of my classmates can't understand what he says because they are taught to speak mandarin when they were young.

One day, my math teacher asked a girl to answer his question. The girl stood up but said nothing. The teacher was very angry, saying “Did you listen to me carefully in class? Stupid!” The girl was angry too, shouting at my teacher "I did listen to you but I couldn't understand what you said. Can you speak mandarin in class?" My teacher became silent for a while and asked her to sit down.
Jun 30, 2012 12:55
  • WANHU
Of course Lonely they were not selected. Their English usage was also not good.
Wan
Jun 30, 2012 13:01
  • WANHU
The end of the day, the interviewers called all the applicants, both the accepted and the rejected to ask questions. One of the rejected candidates asked: are we not teaching Chinese why emphasise on English language? The President of the university said: How could you make them understand your instructions?
Wan
Jul 1, 2012 01:30
Wan,

Better employ qualified teachers. They are teachers and will have a great impact on their students.
Jul 3, 2012 13:40
  • WANHU
"Qualified". I have seen a trained teacher that cannot teach well. Some do not have the flair to teach although they are graduates from teaching institutes. They just don't have passion to teach and share.
Wan
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do we really have to seal the road?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code