Menu
When you think about a trip to China, what concerns you most?
Jun 19, 2012 03:52
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 24 vote(s)
  2. 16 vote(s)
  3. 51 vote(s)
  4. 20 vote(s)
  5. 11 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
There are many different things to think about before traveling. I heard from my friends that if they're traveling to a developing country, they may start planning several months in advance. What concerns you most if you want to visit China?
Jun 20, 2012 02:20
  • WANHU
It will be travel cost. If the cost is cheap, I'll pack my bag, my laptop and depart for China. I don't plan much. I don't know about others, but I always feel safe in China; if it is not safe I won't be travelling there. I don't speak Chinese, but I can understand some words of Putonghua and Minnanhua. Language to me is never a barrier, most Chinese business people understand basic English.
Wan
Jun 20, 2012 06:23
  • AKON3110
Language to me is never a barrier, most Chinese business people understand basic English
Jun 21, 2012 17:04
GUEST28161 I have wanted to visit Xinhui, Guangzhou for a long time. Security, personal safety, and hygiene are my primary concerns in China. Tourists in Canada or USA do not need to worry about bus hijack, black taxi or pocket-pickers. Although I love to visit my place of birth, I need to address these issues first.
Jun 22, 2012 07:12
  • WANHU
Guest28161 please allow me to say, Xinhui is near Jiangmen, not Guangzhou. It used to be part of Jiangmen before.
Wan
Jun 22, 2012 10:36
GUEST28161 Thanks Wan!
I found a 5-star hotel in Xinhui, Jiangmen that charges about $100 USD per night. However, airport pick-up costs about $500 USD by limousine. I was advised to take a train & taxi from the airport to the hotel for a lot less. I have not figured out the cost of hiring a taxi for a day, because I want to visit a village in the proximity. When I read about the “black taxi” in China, I had second thought about visiting China. Language and culture shock would be another detrimental factor for me. Disparity in human rights between China and Canada is something that I need to explore. Thanks for your input, Wan. Finding a reliable source of information in preparation for my trip is not easy
Jew Kam Chung
Jun 24, 2012 21:39
  • WANHU
Dear GUEST28161, USD500 (probably from Baiyun?) to Xinhui is too exorbitantly high, even for an MPV. Perhaps you can check online to compare prices for car/van rental.
Wan
Jun 24, 2012 21:42
  • WANHU
GUEST28161, from which airport you will disembark?
Wan
Jun 25, 2012 17:48
GUEST28161 Hi Wan!
Yes, Baiyun Airport in Guangzhou. There is only one international airport in Guangzhou, right? I think the drive may take about 2 hours or so. Five hundred dollars might be the right price for the trip. However, I don’t need to be pampered so much. I just want a semi-decent ride to the hotel. I will be happy if I don’t get attacked on a bus or in a taxi. Thanks Wan!

Jew Kam Chung
Jun 25, 2012 20:11
  • WANHU
Yes only one airport, but you didn't mention from your previous post(s) your place of disembarkation. For your information, I booked a van from Gongbei (border of Macau) to Guangzhou that took us about 2.5 hours, with driver (inclusive of fuel), I only paid RMB1200 (12 people) means less than USD200. I just want to share how to travel cheap but safe. Anyway I'm not sure of the standards or official price (if there is any). At New Don Franc International Hotel (usually resided by Africans), a Buick MPV for 7 persons to Shenzhen for 4-5 hours and back to Guangzhou is around RMB800-900.
Wan
Jun 25, 2012 20:14
  • WANHU
The hotel I mentioned is in Xiaobei, Guangzhou.
Wan
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: When you think about a trip to China, what concerns you most?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code