Menu
When you think about a trip to China, what concerns you most?
Jun 26, 2012 10:27
GUEST28161 Thanks for the useful information, Wan!
You can get car-rental (including driver) at the hotel, correct? The cost of hiring a car plus a chauffer is reasonable to me. Do people use GPS (global positioning system) in Guangzhou or China? From what I read from the forum, I see that I can buy a cellular phone locally near the hotel. The hotel brochure indicates that it provides internet service. Does it mean that I need to bring my laptop (computer)? Hotels (3 or more stars) here often have computers that the guests can use. Getting internet access is not easy in China, right? Censorship is another word that I need to contemplate there. I just need to stay at a place where it has no bed bugs or prostitutes knocking on my door at night. Looking at the Google maps, I can see my village near a (double) river in Xinhui. Like you say, it is in the district of Jiangmen. Thank you again for your time in answering my questions, Wan!

Jew Kam Chung
Jun 26, 2012 17:20
GUEST01114 I think transportation conerns travelers a lot.
Jun 26, 2012 21:03
  • WANHU
JKC, I'm just relating my experience. You can also get the car from the Baiyun airport. The proprietor won't shortchange you once a price s agreed upon and you pay once you arrive in Xinhui, that will take approximately 3 hours. You can also take train to Jiangmen for less than one hour from Guangzhou East Station. Xinhui is another small "city" with about 2 million population. China is safe and so is Xinhui. Most hotels provide internet connection (sometimes wifi but mostly cable connection). Youtube and fb not easy to acces but you can always ask someone in TCG to share with you his/her experience how to do that. No, no prostitutes will knock your door in Xinhui or any part of China unless you go certain areas to solicit. If you have your mobile phone, probably can be used in China, just buy China Mobile sim card. During your free time maybe you can visit JT Public Library and there's one librarian named Lucy, that can speak English. She may be able to assist where possible. Have a nice trip to Xinhui.
Wan
Jun 26, 2012 21:13
  • WANHU
Do people use GPS? JKC they are selling GPS too. Haha. Most new car in China is provided with GPS complete with stylus for you to write. First timer visitor is always full of anxiety. Usually I change money from the money changer in my country, better than at the airport or banks in China. Plan well, i) transportation, ii) accommodation, iii) food, iv) visits then you'll know your expected expenses.
Wan
Jun 27, 2012 10:21
GUEST28161 The world would be a better place if it is populated with more people like you, Wan! I am not familiar with JT Public library. Is it in Jiangmen? I am 55 years behind with respect to my understanding of China. I learn about China primarily through the media although I was born there. I have turned down numerous invitations to visit China for fear of the unknown. Thank you very much for updating my perception of China.

Jew Kam Chung
Jun 27, 2012 10:30
GUEST28161 One more question, Wan!
I am not used to carrying so much cash while I am travelling abroad. Do you discourage people from using a credit card in China? Thanks

Jew Kam Chung
Jun 29, 2012 05:08
  • WANHU
I'll be in Shenzhen tomorrow. I have a hard time using credit card, unless you have one issued by China bank, not many establishments accept credit card. Perhaps only 3-star hotel and above or international shopping arcade.
Wan
Jun 29, 2012 05:10
  • WANHU
JT Public Library is in Xinhui.
Wan
Jun 29, 2012 05:22
  • WANHU
Dear JKC, if you haven't done anything about your expected planned journey, you can contact me through my email, then perhaps I could ask my friend to arrange for the pick up for you. Her number is 13422629434, pls add +86.
Wan
Jun 29, 2012 11:50
GUEST28161 Thank You, Wan for your kind offer!
I don’t feel safe in carrying so much cash, especially in a foreign place. I shall continue planning for my trip. Thank You, Wan! You are one of the kind!

Jew Kam Chung
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: When you think about a trip to China, what concerns you most?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code