Menu
Amazing Chinese Kung Fu!
Jul 13, 2012 06:03
  • WANHU
It's not easy to fathom the spiritual experience, dear Lonely. Every nation has its own secret and specialty, including Chinese, Indians, Malays, European, etc. They walked on the burning charcoal, they dipped their hands in the boiling oil, they slept on nails and broken glasses, etc. The Kavadi bearers show their strong commitment to their vows by fasting to their Gods and these feats hurt them none. Most of them are ordinary people. You may come and watch, usually in November and interview them.
Wan
Jul 13, 2012 06:07
  • WANHU
People are doing research on this, and a few postgraduate theses have been published about Thaipusam by western researchers. Batu Caves in Malaysia is known by the local Indians as Batu Malai or Pattu Malai, meaning ten hills. It's a long story, dear Lonely.
Wan
Jul 15, 2012 20:28
Wan,

I would go there to see how they do that if I had a chance. Probably, I would interview them and see if they can tell me how they do that.

"They walked on the burning charcoal, they dipped their hands in the boiling oil, they slept on nails and broken glasses, etc."

They can walk on the buring charcoal because they spread something special on their foot so that their feet won't get hurt. Another saying is that you walk quickly and then you won't get hurt. I don't believe this.

They can dip their hands in the boiling oil because they add vinegar in the wok. Someone says the vinegar's boiling point is very low (probably about 60 centigrade degrees). Thus, whe the mixture of oil and vinegar reaches its boiling point, the temperature is not high. Next time you can get close and smell and then you will know if they are real 'heros'.

They can sleep on the nails and break glass or stones because they learn hard qigong.

These are the secrets behind them. So what's the secret behind the guys in the picture?
Jul 18, 2012 22:18
  • WANHU
Lonely, maybe you have seen on TV how they explained things. Like what magicians did. Actually magicians never tell their secrets. When you see the "fire walker", they walked slowly on the burning charcoal and not in haste. My late mom used to deep-fry banana to make banana fritters, and on many occasions she also dipped her fingers in the hot boiling oil, though for a short while, I couldn't so it. When I asked her how to do it? She said she's used to it, and she didn't burn her fingers. I used to attend a closing ceremony of a martial art exponents where every graduate student would be bathed with hot oil. I don't know if they added vinegar or not but my friend, who was not a martial art graduate student, touched the burning oil, it scalded his finger for 2 weeks. To me all things are explainable but only we don't have the ability to explain. For example a person bending a spoon with his mind/thought, cigarette that tastes like kerosene under hypnotism, and David Copperfield walked through the Great Wall of China.
Wan
Jul 24, 2012 02:50
Wan,

There are some people who have the ability to explain magicians' tricks. I remembered that a guy who disclosed many secrets behind the magics in a video. Then almost all other magicians united and required him to stop disclosing their secrets.

Jul 31, 2012 09:41
  • WANHU
Lonely, I have seen the series called Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed featuring Val Valentino as the leading magician in the mask. The series is made by production company Nash Entertainment. The first four specials featured incognito magician Val Valentino as the Masked Magician performing large-scale illusions and a few smaller-scale close up magic tricks before revealing the secrets of the tricks.
The Masked Magician was promoted as a well-known magician who wore a mask to avoid recrimination from fellow magicians. He revealed his identity in the fourth episode. In fact he made this show to promote himself as he is unknown among the magicians circle.
Wan
Jul 31, 2012 22:14
Wan,

I recommend you to watch 'The Prestige'. It was very interesting. I watched it twice and then figured everything out.

Aug 1, 2012 21:48
  • WANHU
How do you explain the using of iron hooks on the body to pull a bullock cart without spilling a single drop of blood as in Kavadi bearers? Or piercing the lance across the cheeks and attach the rope to it and pulling heavy cart? Every year devotees do this in keeping their vows.

The Prestige is a movie. Anything can happen and make to happen in movies.

Wan
Aug 5, 2012 01:52
Wan,

The devotees are not magicians. They might have practiced HARD QIGONG. I like Presitge because of the director. He is a genius.
Aug 7, 2012 02:36
  • WANHU
I used to read books and articles by R.J. Wilkinson, Walter William Skeat, Frank Swettenham, Richard Olof Winstedt, about Malay magic, shaman, and witch doctors. These people may be orientalists and the former administrators of Malaya under British rule but they make a study on magic and magician especially among the religious devotees.
Wan
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Amazing Chinese Kung Fu!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code