Menu
Do lineal descendants of the monks/ nuns have rights to the inheritance?
Jun 27, 2012 22:05
  • LAUGH
Shi Yongxiu, the abbot of Lingzhao Temple in Yuxi city of Yunnan province, was murdered in 2010. However, he was found to have Personal Savings of over RMB 4 millions when people packed his remains. His daughter claimed that she had the first title to the estate, but she was rejected by the temple. Now she has to engage in legal proceedings for this.

Shi Yongxiu became a monk in 1979 after divorce while his daughter was 2 years old. The accused (the temple) holds the views that monks have no any relationship with the family they have before they practice abstinence as monks; and the money is not his personal savings, but the voluntary donation from the believers and social contributions. His ex-wife said she and her daughter have long been financially supported by Shi Yongxiu. Thus, her daughter should have right through the divorce relation.

What do you think about this Personal Savings? Does his daughter have right to the inheritance?

Last edited by LAUGH: Jun 27, 2012 22:10
Jun 27, 2012 23:16
  • RAINDROP
How can the voluntary donation from the believers and social contributions become his personal savings? Temples are non-profit organizations. Corruption always goes with greed for money. His dusty affinity is not yet finished.
Last edited by RAINDROP: Jun 27, 2012 23:19
Jun 29, 2012 04:47
GUEST04154
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP

His dusty affinity is not yet finished.

I agree! He should not be greedy of anything!
Jun 29, 2012 05:58
  • WANHU
He became a monk in 1979 and the authority needs to find out about his savings. If he amassed that amount of money post 1979, then probably the temple is correct as monk, has the obligation to seek donations for the temple and not for himself. If there is no covenant whatsoever, or the money kept before him becoming a monk, surely the temple has no right to confiscate nor freeze his accounts.
Wan
Jul 1, 2012 02:04
Quote:

How can the voluntary donation from the believers and social contributions become his personal savings? Temples are non-profit organizations. Corruption always goes with greed for money. His dusty affinity is not yet finished.

Raindrop, the temples in China do make a lot of money. You can see it from this monk's savings. There is no supervision in the temples. You never know where your donation goes.
Jul 8, 2012 22:45
  • RAINDROP
I see now. You reminds me about my trip last year to Xining Ta'er Monastery. We bought a pinch of incense stick (I forgot the price, but it was expensive). The monks stopped us to burn it, they told us to put them on a table aside the censer. The incense stick will probably be took back to the shop for sale again.
Jul 10, 2012 11:27
  • WANHU
Maybe for a good cause?
Wan
Jul 11, 2012 21:30
  • RAINDROP
I don't think so. The holy ground became commercial when it opened for the first visitor.
Jul 11, 2012 23:17
Quote:

I see now. You reminds me about my trip last year to Xining Ta'er Monastery. We bought a pinch of incense stick (I forgot the price, but it was expensive). The monks stopped us to burn it, they told us to put them on a table aside the censer. The incense stick will probably be took back to the shop for sale again.

Definitely, they will be sold to other people. The same thing happen at the restaurants. When a dish is served and no one eats it, this dish might be on other people's table. That's why my friend always put vegetables, meat other food we can't eat up into the hotpot before she leaves.

She said that she did it in case the restaurant serve them to other people. I actually do not like what she did. Why not tpack them up in a doggy bag and take it home?
Jul 12, 2012 10:34
  • WANHU
In China, maybe except the church, religious temples are charged to visitors. When I brought some Malaysians to visit qing zhen si in Guangta Lu, GZ we were asked to pay RMB2 each. It's strange because in Malaysia we do not need to pay anything.
Wan
Jul 15, 2012 21:20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

In China, maybe except the church, religious temples are charged to visitors. When I brought some Malaysians to visit qing zhen si in Guangta Lu, GZ we were asked to pay RMB2 each. It's strange because in Malaysia we do not need to pay anything.
Wan

Wan, your friends and you are not Muslims, right? The mosques are free for visit for the Muslims. They must treat you as tourists.

In China, most religious sites are also tourist attractions. If you travel in Tibet and visit Tibetan monasteries, you will find that they also charge you the admission fees.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do lineal descendants of the monks/ nuns have rights to the inheritance?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code