Menu
Do lineal descendants of the monks/ nuns have rights to the inheritance?
Aug 5, 2012 01:45
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Why they want to live in poverty?
Wan

That's 'practice'. Buddhists usually lead a simple life. Monks have seen through the vanities of the world. Money to them is nothing. However, not all monks can understand this. Look at the guy who married above.
Aug 5, 2012 03:20
  • WANHU
We have seen vanities too, Lonely. For me, money can't influence me but that doesn't mean we need to live in poverty. For God fearing persons, they should guide us how to live in this world, how to behave, etc. I apologise if my words may offend certain quarters, but truly speaking I don't want to lead a life of poverty nor want others to live in poverty either. I have four limbs just like others. If others can work for their meals , it is undignified of me to beg for even a tiffin.
Wan
Aug 5, 2012 22:55
Wan,

The monks do not live in poverty. They just lead a simple life to pratice Buddhism, Taoism or any other religion.

If you go to the Mt. Jiuhua, you will never think that they live in poverty. Most monks are 'plumpy'. I do not understand how they become plumy because they are be vegetarians. Perhaps, they are blessed by Buddhas.

I still remembered what my high school Chinese teacher told me. He said that the monks on Mt. Putuo were wealthy because he saw many of them had cellphones. You know, cellphone was not widely used in 2001. At that moment, only four or five students had Beeper Pagers in my class.
Aug 7, 2012 01:25
  • WANHU
Lonely, I was responding to Enid with a question when he said monks or any religious believers should be under vows of poverty. It triggers a question why should they live in poverty when they can live in wealth and health and share with others? To live humbly we can do some community jobs and activities, that also will generate income and not begging in the streets or going from house to house for food. I'm not sure about China, but I have seen their activities in Thailand that Buddhism flourishes well.

Perhaps the monks at Wat Pho in Bangkok have different school of thought. They create academy of Thai massage and charge certain fees that indeed generate income well, because there are always long queues of customers waiting for their turn, everyday.

Wan
Wan
Aug 8, 2012 02:20
"It triggers a question why should they live in poverty when they can live in wealth and health and share with others?"

Wan,

I think I already answered your question. They have to stick to their doctrines. Take Buddhsim for example. Once you become a monk, the vanity world is far away from you. Wealth, women and other material things are not your concern anymore. The doctrine of Buddhism requires you to lead a simple life, be a vegetarian and practice Buddhism.
Aug 8, 2012 19:13
  • WANHU
I'm not talking about world decorations, Lonely. It's about begging for food. They could have worked like others. Like I mentioned the Academy of Traditional Thai Massage, it generates income for both monks and the temple. The monks are trained to be good masseuse.
Wan
Aug 12, 2012 03:40
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

I'm not talking about world decorations, Lonely. It's about begging for food. They could have worked like others. Like I mentioned the Academy of Traditional Thai Massage, it generates income for both monks and the temple. The monks are trained to be good masseuse.
Wan

Wan, here is a term to describe ‘monks beg for food’, that is, ‘beg alms’. Buddhists believe that those who give alms to them have connections with Buddhism. They advocate Buddhism when they beg alms. Sometimes, they do not beg for food only. They beg for money to build Buddhist Temples. ‘Beg alms’ is a part of Buddhism practice.
Aug 12, 2012 03:55
Wan,

Chinese monks actually know clearly how to generate income. When you pray for someone or make a wish at the temple, you have to buy incense. There are many kinds of incense sold at different prices. Some people place special lotus lantern at the temple to pray for their parents, lovers or themselves. It is not free. The cost varies according to the place you choose. Last time when I visited Mt. Jiuhua, such a lantern cost CNY 50-100.

If you ask a high ranked monk to 'guide' you, you also need to pay. They never tell you how much money you should give but show you a list. On the list, you will see how much money other people give. Then you know how much you should give.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do lineal descendants of the monks/ nuns have rights to the inheritance?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code