Menu
Longest shallot in China!
Jul 31, 2013 22:04
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

It's the same in China. Many people do whatever they can to become civil officials. The salary is low but they enjoy better allowances and get guarantee when they retire. Can you imagine thousands of people compete for one position?

Wan, there are many graduates and very limited number of positions offered by the government. So those who fail to compete for the positions have no choice but work in private companies.
Aug 4, 2013 12:31
  • WANHU
There are about 1.2 million civil servants in Malaysia out of 26 million population.
Wan
Aug 5, 2013 01:30
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

There are 6,89 million civil servants in China. It is a small portion of the whole population of China.
Aug 5, 2013 12:34
  • WANHU
Statistically it's a small portion against its population.
Wan
Aug 5, 2013 20:47
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Statistically it's a small portion against its population.
Wan

The small portion just occupy a large quantity of social resources. They don't pay their money for the social welfare. But they earn much higher pension than those who work for enterprises after retirement. Every month, both my company and I pay for the social welfare for me. It's said that China doesn't have enough money to pay for those retired people. I guess that's why they extend the retirement age.

Aug 6, 2013 10:43
  • WANHU
In Malaysia, the amount of contribution in Employee Provident Fund is defined and decided by the government. After attaining 55 years of age, an employee may withdraw the whole of their savings including from both contributors. While government pensioners may get 50% of his basic monthly salary after working for more than 25 years, or 60% of his basic monthly salary if he works for more than 30 years. A government employee also receives other allowances but these allowances will be withdrawn and illegible one an employee retires. Thus with my basic monthly salary 1500 if I retire I would get 750 only but continue to receive for the rest of my life.
Wan
Aug 6, 2013 21:23
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I don't know if 1500 is enough to cover your monthly expense when you retire. Who knows? No one can foresee what will hapen in 40 years. Just wish that I could get enough money to support my late life.
Aug 10, 2013 09:57
  • WANHU
It was an example, may be I get more although not much. Most government employees are looking for the gratuity paid by the government as a bonus for working for the government. It is the last drawn salary (inclusive of allowances) x months of work x 7.5%. This gratuity indeed helps a lot for a new retiree, something they can start with. My eldest brother brother retired in 1982 with a meagre monthly pension of RM650. There are always salary and pension revisions by the government. Now he's getting about 1800 per month, almost triple from his basic pension.
Wan
Aug 12, 2013 22:18
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Your brother is lucky. It's said that China are lack of money to provide pensions for those retirees. Thus, the retirement age is said to be raised. Our money is paid to today's retirees. What about us?
Aug 13, 2013 17:34
  • WANHU
Maybe they have other priorities. Sometimes it's not easy to understand governmen'ts machinery and how it works as we can see only from the outside of the government's fence. Even working in the government sector, I do not know much except try to apply the circulars given to us from time to time by the public Service Department, with instructions we can never say NO. The high ranking officers also need to follow the instructions from their stakeholders, especially Ministers and Prime Ministers. The politicians being the policy makers always have the upper hands.
Wan
Page 10 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Longest shallot in China!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code