Menu
Longest shallot in China!
Dec 16, 2012 20:14
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

You know Chinese better, while my English is just at an elementary stage. It's good to share and compare notes.
Wan

I am a Chinese and Chinese is my native language. My English is not as good as you. If you are at elementary stage, I guess that I am at the kindergarten level.
Dec 17, 2012 23:59
  • WANHU
Cherry, here in TCG is about China and not a place to comment English usage unless he's an English laoshi. As long as we can communicate, it's good enough for me.
Wan
Dec 18, 2012 00:17
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Cherry, here in TCG is about China and not a place to comment English usage unless he's an English laoshi. As long as we can communicate, it's good enough for me.
Wan

Haha, many Chinese English teachers don't master English very well. Anyway, we both can understand each other. This is the most important.
Dec 18, 2012 00:29
  • WANHU
Can't blame them because they seldom speak English. Just like me, I seldom speak nor write English. My native language is Malay.
Wan
Dec 19, 2012 01:14
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Can't blame them because they seldom speak English. Just like me, I seldom speak nor write English. My native language is Malay.
Wan

I didn't blame them. The education in China is exam-oriented. If you can not pass the exams, you may not get your diploma. This method was taken by many colleges in the past. Now only few colleges still take this method.

We are good at exams but we can not communicate with others with fluent English.
Dec 20, 2012 16:32
  • WANHU
I can understand that very well. I have been visiting China since 2004 and met many a student in various provinces and regions. Some of them pronounce cafe as cave, orange as oranger and strange as stranger; instead of imagine they use image, interested becomes interesting. To English laoshi these perhaps are grave mistakes but to a layperson like me, the purpose of language is to communicate between two persons even with grammatical mistakes, after all we are not English native speakers.
Wan
Dec 20, 2012 21:46
  • RAINDROP
That is true. In China, some foreigners speak Chinese with grammatical mistakes too, but we can understand them well. Haha, it is better that we can talk except using only the body language.
Last edited by RAINDROP: Dec 20, 2012 21:48
Dec 27, 2012 17:50
  • WANHU
Correct Raindrop. But we shouldn't stop there and remain with mistakes. If we have time, try to venture further by observing how people use "proper" English but definitely not in this open forum.
Wan
Dec 27, 2012 21:50
  • RAINDROP
I know, as well, that the pursuit of perfection in any language is futile, so I am happy to make mistakes and will appreciate a lot if they can be corrected.
Dec 28, 2012 01:02
  • WANHU
Usually we don't correct grammatical mistakes in the public forum.
Wan
Page 3 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Longest shallot in China!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code