Menu
Longest shallot in China!
Nov 10, 2012 01:49
  • WANHU
You see Cherry, I also made a mistake by using the word chives instead of chive leaves. Chives are from small onion species, where its leaves are flat and thin. In my hometoen it is called kuchai leaves, usually for making flour or banana fritters. It is also used as part of the ingredients of char kway teow. Kway teow is rice flat noodles.

Leek looks like garlic but the taste is different. In my hometown, leek is usually made into pickle.

Wan
Nov 10, 2012 02:00
  • WANHU
The picture is chives, also known as garlic chives or Chinese chives, etc. In my locality we call kuchai, while some say as kow choi.
Wan

Nov 11, 2012 02:10
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

The chive picture you posted is a bit different from what I posted. I can't see the roots in your picture. Are they the same thing?

Personally, I prefer the garlic sprouts very much. It smells and tastes good especially you quick-fry it with meat.

How to pickle leek? I am very curious. By the way, men should eat leek a lot because it boosts male virility.
Nov 13, 2012 02:21
  • WANHU
Pickled leek bulbs
Wan

Nov 13, 2012 03:17
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Pickled leek bulbs
Wan

I am totally confused now after seeing your picture. They look like garlics. Let me make it clear. The garlic germinates and grow into garlic shoots (蒜苗) and garlic stem (蒜苔,蒜薹).

Look at the following pictures.

Picture 1 to 5 garlic turns into garlic shoots (蒜苗).

Picture 6 to 7 Garlic stem (蒜薹,蒜苔).

Nov 13, 2012 03:30
  • CHERRY07
To my impression, I just remember leek has no bulbs. It just has leaves (we call it 韭菜). It can grow into 韭苔.

Picture 1 is leek (we call it韭菜).
Picture 2 and 3 are 韭苔(probably leek stem???)

Note: If flowers bloom (picture 3), 韭苔 is too old to eat.

Nov 13, 2012 03:38
  • CHERRY07
By the way, I am not sure if you eat these two vegetables. The first one is young yellow garlic shoots (蒜黄) and the second one is yellow leek (韭黄).

young yellow garlic shoots taste totally different from the green garlic shoots. So does yellow leek.

Do you know how they grow? The green garlic shoots and leek grow in dark under certain temperature and then become yellow garlic shoots and yellow leek.

Look: They both look yellow. How can you differ each other? Here is the way: look at the white part (stem). If it is round, it is galric shoots. If it is flat, it is yellow leek.

Nov 22, 2012 00:48
  • WANHU
Cherry, before I took agricultural science, I didn't know that are there various types of garlic and leek, the various kinds of onions and shallots. I didn't know that corn or maize is from grass family. After studying agricultural science I still don't know their many types because each agriculturist and horticulturist will define differently according to their school of thought. One species of leek with bulb almost looks like garlic except it has an oblong shape, while there is spring onion without bulb. At first it seemed strange but then we also can find seedless watermelon and durian (liulian) without thorns.
Wan
Dec 9, 2012 21:47
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I have posted many recipes. But I found that it was difficult to translate ingredients into English after chatting with you. Dictionary gives me a word when I look it up. But it may not be the same thing.

Dec 13, 2012 13:34
  • WANHU
You know Chinese better, while my English is just at an elementary stage. It's good to share and compare notes.
Wan
Page 2 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Longest shallot in China!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code