Menu
Is there any grammatical error in this sentence?
Jan 22, 2013 01:11
  • JIMMYB
"If you do not leave me, I will by your side until the life end.” This sentence has been known to many young Chinese people who believe in ‘True Love’. What is true love? Both sides stick together in life and death.

Well, I feel that there is a grammatical error in this sentence. There should be ‘be’ between ‘will’ and ‘by’ since ‘by your side’. Someone says ‘Will is a verb here. In this way, this sentence is completely right’.

Is there any grammatical error in this sentence?

Jan 22, 2013 02:10
  • DAVIDLU
yes, i think you are right, it should be i will be/stand by your side. But since many people write in that way, this expression become popular already.
Jan 22, 2013 02:43
  • DODGER
Jimmy,
It has to be ‘I will be by your side’, or ‘I will be at your side’, otherwise it is incorrect.

Cheers, Dodger.
Jan 22, 2013 06:48
  • WANHU
Until the/my life ends.
Wan
Jan 22, 2013 19:32
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

Jimmy,
It has to be ‘I will be by your side’, or ‘I will be at your side’, otherwise it is incorrect.

Cheers, Dodger.

Thank you very much. Now I am definitely sure that the grammatical error does exist in this sentence. This sentence is very popular on Weibo.com. In fact, there is a joke about it. But I can not translate it into English. The humor of the joke is gone if it is translated into English.
Feb 19, 2013 22:41
GUEST80242 thx for both of you,i finally got it ......
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB

Thank you very much. Now I am definitely sure that the grammatical error does exist in this sentence. This sentence is very popular on Weibo.com. In fact, there is a joke about it. But I can not translate it into English. The humor of the joke is gone if it is translated into English.
Jul 20, 2013 00:55
  • BOBERT
Jimmy.

It should read..."If you do not leave me, then you are even more stupid than I thought."
Jul 22, 2013 21:45
  • JIMMYB
Bobert,

I guess that your have been fooled by many girls.
Jul 23, 2013 00:14
  • BOBERT
Read it again Jimmy. I'm suggesting that I deserve to be left behind.
Aug 7, 2013 01:07
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

Read it again Jimmy. I'm suggesting that I deserve to be left behind.

Why? Because you can't flatter girls with sweet words? Or you always tell the "truth"? For example, your girl wears a new dress and asks your opinion. You just say "You look ugly after putting that dress!"
Aug 8, 2013 04:40
  • BOBERT
Neither Jimmy. Simply because I could never commit to a life with one partner regardless of her actions. Who could? The only caveat you impose is that she doesn't leave you. The idiom you quote is absurd. To promise that you will stay with someone, providing she doesn't leave you, is tantamount to being her slave.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is there any grammatical error in this sentence?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code