Menu
Whom will you save first in the earthquake, your parents or your kid?
Apr 23, 2013 04:44
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 3 vote(s)
  2. 8 vote(s)
  3. 6 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
At 08:02 am on April 20, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit the Lushan County, Ya’an City of Sichuan Province. When the earthquake occurred, Li Guobin rushed into the bedroom on the second floor and brought his 9 years old son to safety. When he ran downstairs, he saw his parents falling down after being hit by the bricks. He hesitated for a second but didn’t stop.

Ensuring that his son was safe, Li ran back to the house, removed the bricks on his parents’ bodies and shouldered them to the safety. Later, his parents were sent to the hospital. Luckily, they weren’t badly injured. Li accompanied his parents for a night at the hospital but his parents didn’t say a word to him. Li understood that his parents were angry with him. He should have saved his parents first but he didn’t.

Although all his families were saved, Li still felt guilty for his parents. Li explained that his son was sleeping on the second floor and his parents stayed on the first floor when the earthquake occurred. To his understanding, his parents could have run out of the house. However, his 9 years old son couldn’t make it by himself. Thus, he decided to save his son first.

“In the circumstances, I have to make up my mind immediately whom I will save first. My son’s situation was worse and more dangerous. So I decide to save my son. But I feel guilty for my parents. Without my parents, I couldn’t have been to this world. As a human, I have to carry my family on. So I have to save my son first. My son is the hope of our family. I would have chosen to save my son first even I lost my life that day. But I would regret in my life if my parents lost their lives in the earthquake. ”, added he.

What is your choice, your parents or kid?
Apr 23, 2013 22:11
GUEST09216 Any parent will save his child instinctively, when there is no time to think, plan or decide.
That doesn't say that these parents don't regard saving their elder parents important.
Apr 26, 2013 17:16
  • NOBODY
Not a question, my daughter.
I guess in China it is more difficult, but in Germany my mother would be angry with me if i tried to save her first.
Some friends asked me a similar question:
"If your mother and your wife fall into the river, whom do you save first?"
I every time answered: "My wife, because my mother can swim"

My answer is of course meant jokingly, but it contains the truth. My mom is already old(er), my wife is also a mom. My mother would be very angry...
May 4, 2013 01:19
  • CHERRY07
I guess in China it is more difficult, but in Germany my mother would be angry with me if i tried to save her first.

Why is she angry? Your mom can escape if she can swim when she falls into a river. But she might survive an earthquake.

Li Guobin did a right thing. His son was in worse situation compared with his parents. I am afraid that I will be in panic when the earthquake occurs.
May 6, 2013 03:38
  • BBQQ
Jimmyb,

I have a better idea. Let's change the question into "Whom will you save first in the earthquake, your parents, your wife oryour kid?" More complicated, right?

When the Lushan earthquake happened, a man in Chongqing ran out of the house, leaving his wife alone at home. The wife was totally disappointed and filed a divorce. According to the wife, her husband didn't care about her in daily life. Then the earthquake helped her see her husband through and make the decision of divorce.

Another woman in Chongqing remarried with her ex-husband after the earthquake. She just divorced her husband two months ago. When the earthquake happened, she was making breakfast for her child. Then she embraced her child immediately and ran down 15 floors to escape. After she made sure that it was safe to get back home, she returned home with her child. A few minutes later, she heard someone ring the door bell. When she opened the door, she saw her ex-husband stand in front of the door. He came to see whether they were ok. The earthquake made her realize that he still cared about her and the child. Thus, they remarried again.
May 12, 2013 19:13
  • WANHU
We have to look at the severity of the case. In hospitals too, doctors have to give priority to certain cases and conditions. Will a doctor attend to his/her mom who has a broken leg when there's a child that needs immediate medical attention?
Wan
May 12, 2013 21:16
  • RAINDROP
Wan, I agree with you. But Li's parents can't accept the truth that their son went to save his son first.

You raise a baby to an adult. But he didn't come to you first in dangerous situations. It's a bit difficult for them to accept it. They should ask themselves a question "If they were put into their son's situation, whom will they save first?" I guess that they will do the same thing as their son did.
May 14, 2013 09:09
  • WANHU
To err is human. People always look what they want but seldom look what others need.
Wan
May 15, 2013 02:49
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

To err is human. People always look what they want but seldom look what others need.
Wan

Yes, we care about ourselves but ignore people around us. Is it called "Selfishness"?
May 21, 2013 02:43
  • WANHU
That is what most of us are today. We should disseminate to others how beautiful life is if we can care for other people.
Wan
May 21, 2013 22:03
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

That is what most of us are today. We should disseminate to others how beautiful life is if we can care for other people.
Wan

It's difficult to achieve for me. Maybe, we should remind ourselves of learning to care for our families and friends around us.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Whom will you save first in the earthquake, your parents or your kid?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code