Menu
Nervousexpat
May 10, 2013 18:52
guest18179 I am moving to Shenzhen this July with a 6yr old and have many questions. We are looking at the area around the International Sino-Canada school area. Are there apartments to rent? Can anyone tell me about that area? What is the weather like in summer? Can you use credit cards in China? Should an expat get an Chinese bank account and if so, what's the best bank to set up a bank account? What local healthcare is a good one?
Any information that anyone has will be helpful. Thanks so much.
May 22, 2013 11:56
  • GHOST
I'm not in Shenzhen and am a little surprised no-one has responded to this post yet... But I think I can answer your questions.

1. There are always many apartments available to rent, much will depend on your budget. Will you stay in a hotel for the first few days while you look for somewhere to rent? If so, find one of the many housing/real-estate agents in the area to help you find an apartment.

2. Shenzhen is hot and humid in the summer. You can do a search online and find typical weather temperatures.

3. Yes, you can use credit cards in China. Most international branded hotels will accept them as will some supermarkets and restaurants - but not all.

4. If you're planning to get paid you will need a Chinese bank account and can probably arrange for a credit and/or debit card from the bank. Different cities and regions have their own banks so ask what is a popular one for Shenzhen once you arrive.

5. The local government hospital will probably have an international clinic with English-speaking staff (you will need to check if that's true) which you can use for health-checks and there will be various (and more expensive) private healthcare options available. You are close enough to go to Hong Kong for any non-emergency treatment.
Last edited by GHOST: May 22, 2013 11:57
May 25, 2013 18:52
  • WANHU
You may try ICBC, so far I have no problem. Better than Bank of China (my experience is in Luohu) but not sure about Nanshan where most expats live. For healthcare, you may opt for TCM as most pharmacies provide products made in China. Modern medical facilities are exorbitantly high. Just imagine, I was hospitalised for one day observation due to chest pain at one provincial people's hospital, I was billed RMB2500. Some may speak English with words that you may not understand.
Wan
Post a Reply to: Nervousexpat
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code