Menu
Mom and Dad, where do I come from?
May 16, 2013 02:39
  • LAUGH
Mom and Dad, where do I come from? What do you say when your kid asks this question?

Chinese parents:
You were picked up at the dump/on the road. Most Chinese parents give this answer to their kids. Then their kids have another question "Why are so many kids at the dump?"
You were brought to us by the flood.
You were found under the bed.
You fell off from my armpit (a Chinese mom said).
You are a seed in my stomach and finally grow up into a child. (I am wondering what she will say if her child asks who grows the seed in your stomach).

American parents:
You were brought to us by a bird.

What do you say?
May 20, 2013 17:11
  • WANHU
Tell him the truth in a proper way that suits his age. Educate him about life.
Wan
May 21, 2013 01:08
  • BBQQ
Funny question, Laugh. I don't know what to say if my kid asks me this question in the future. Thanks for offering me so many answers.

Wan,

Suppose your 3 years old kid ask you this question, what will you say? Apparently, she can't understand the truth you said.
May 21, 2013 02:05
  • WANHU
I would say "when two people are married, they have intimate relationship, then a baby is made from their love. The woman will carry the baby in her womb for 9 months or so. When you get older, you will understand more about human relationship".
Wan
May 22, 2013 02:01
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I guess a three years old baby can't understand what womb is. Right? Maybe, you could say "You are created from our love".
May 23, 2013 03:00
  • WANHU
Haha, don't underestimate the ability of 3-year old kid. When you study early childhood and preschool education you will understand more about the ability of the children.
Wan
May 23, 2013 03:50
  • BBQQ
Wan,

Perhaps, I will know more when I have my own kid.
May 23, 2013 19:00
  • WANHU
Correct. How unfortunate in China you can't compare much as majority of the Chinese family has one child. I'd suggest you read books on early childhood education as many of those educators base their findings from proper research and observation. You can't base your information solely on Maria Montessori as we live in a more modern society.
Wan
May 28, 2013 03:40
  • BBQQ
Holy ****. I never heard of Maria Montessori before. I searched her on the internet and know who she is now.

As far as I know, young Chinese parents (who were born in 1980s) adopt new ways to educate their kids compared with their parents. They read related books to learn about new knowledge and apply it into thei kids' education. They raise and educate their kid in a different way compared with their parents.
May 30, 2013 16:07
  • WANHU
At least you know a little bit about Montessori and early childhood education. Thanks to online info.
Wan
Jun 3, 2013 21:52
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

At least you know a little bit about Montessori and early childhood education. Thanks to online info.
Wan

That's why contradictions occur between young parents and their kids' grandparents. For example, young parents know that it is bad to feed their babies salt if they are young than 1 year old. But the grandparents don't think so. They feed the babies according to their experience.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Mom and Dad, where do I come from?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code