Menu
Visiting Xi'an
Jul 27, 2013 22:03
  • WANHU
The first time I visited, or perhaps I should say passing through Xi'an was in later 2004. It was cold season then. Now I'm thinking of visiting Xi'an again but how opportunity knocks, and on the spur of the moment someone bought the tickets for me and I will be departing to Xi'an on July 30th. Unfortunately I will be in this interesting and beautiful city until August 2nd where I will depart for Zhengzhou. I can be reached at: QQ 2328931915.
Wan
Jul 30, 2013 15:40
  • WANHU
It is indeed strange that many hotels do not accept foreigners in Xi'an unless those hotels that prominently displayed at their registration counters saying foreigners are accepted. Then again, those hotels that accepted foreigners are selectively accepted credit card(s). At first I was thinking of going backpack at any cheap hotel as I'm used to in Guangzhou but now landed me with simple cheap room (Guangzhou standard) but charged at 250 per night.
Wan
Jul 31, 2013 03:37
  • CHERRY07
How about International Youth Hostel? Many foreigners choose to stay at the international youth hostel on the Xiangzimiao Street. It is very close to the City Wall.

The single room is on B1 floor. It costs around CNY 220. I don't know if there is any window. Double room costs CNY 230. Twin room costs CNY 230. Triple room costs CNY 280. Quadruple room costs CNY 75.
Jul 31, 2013 05:41
  • WANHU
Thank you dear Cherry.
I went to see another room and thanks to internet, I found quite a simple room at 260 which is not far from Bell Tower as well as Hui Square as you recommended (Hui Square) before. It's quite interesting how the people have food festival until the wee hours of the morning.
Wan
Jul 31, 2013 22:18
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I am sorry that I can't take you to tour in Xian. I can just have a rest on Saturday and Sunday. But you will leave tomorrow.
Aug 1, 2013 10:51
  • WANHU
I understand dear Cherry and no need to feel sorry. It is unplanned visit to Xi'an which is initially not in my itinerary. A friend of my Chinese niece recently had a surgery to to cancer and she's undergoing chemo and then radiation. I'm just providing her a friendly gesture and will probably provide her some food supplements from Malaysia.

Anyway I have tasted biang biang as suggested and couldn't find cured beef, but after all I'm not into beef so much. I went to the Muslim quarters and even went to see the Great Mosque and met a few foreigners and we discussed about the mosque based from Chinese views and western views. Along the way there are some English major students working part time.

Wan
Aug 4, 2013 22:20
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

What do you think of Biang Biang Mian? Is it too spicy to you? I don't know when you visited the Great Mosque. If you were lucky, you would have seen how they pray in the hall. I visited the mosque two times. During my second trip, I witnessed them praying in the main hall.

Did you taste local snacks on the Moslem Street, especially Jia San Guan Tang Bao (Soup Dumplings)?
Last edited by CHERRY07: Aug 4, 2013 22:23
Aug 6, 2013 00:59
  • WANHU
Btween Zhengzhou and Xi'an, noodles in Xi'an definitely taste better. I have only a few nights to roam the streets of Xi'an. When thunderstorm hit Xi'an past midnight, I just came back from my Xi'an night patrol, haha. This time, although mere 3 nights in Xi'an I have ample time because I don't have to follow the group and I could take my own leisure time to see what I wanted to see.

It's a pity that some visitors can't enter the mosque. In Malaysia, with proper attire, everyone is allowed to enter the mosque. Anyway I managed to enter the mosque and saw the Arabic calligraphy engraved on the four walls of the great mosque.

Wan
Aug 6, 2013 22:09
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Hui people can enter the mosque for free. Ordinary visitors have to pay for the admission fee. I can't understand Arabian so that I don' know what they murmur in the hall.
Aug 7, 2013 17:58
  • WANHU
Haha, neither can I because they have strange of speaking Arabic with thick Chinese accent.
Wan
Aug 7, 2013 20:28
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Although I couldn't understand what they said, I still believed that it was a sacred ceremony. I didn't take pictures of them when they chanted. It was a scred ceremony and I didn't want to disturb them.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visiting Xi'an
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code