Menu
Visiting Xi'an
Aug 7, 2013 23:05
  • WANHU
You're very thoughtful and considerate. Xi'an is a unique city with its four ancient walls. Definitely I will visit it again in the near future. A lot of things can be observed and studied.
Wan
Aug 12, 2013 19:58
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

But I just find one thing that I can't understand. You know, there are many beef noodles restaurant that are opened by Muslims. I notice that they don't send their kids to school. Their kids just work at their own restaurants as waitresses or waiters. They are just teenagers.
Aug 13, 2013 06:07
  • WANHU
Dear Cherry, that is part of the problems with the Northwest Muslims. Majority of them have their own thought and thinking and many of them did self-study. They are still thick with their ethnicity and looking at the mainstream education as something that will rob their culture. Anyway they are slowly absorbing into better tertiary education and enrolled in many universities as students.
Wan
Aug 13, 2013 22:40
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Muslims in big cities care about their children' education. They encourage their kids to learn new things by sending them to colleges. But they never forget their own cultures and folk customs.
Aug 14, 2013 03:08
  • WANHU
Indeed they care for their education, but what kind of education. They have their own training scools and colleges too, like the ones in Shadian, Yunnan. How many Muslims are there in China? No one knows exactly but generally are based from the 10 main minorities of Hui, Uyghur, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Dongxiang, Tatar, Salar, Bao’an, and Khalkhas. How many of these ethnics have good tertiary education from the mainstream education system? Perhaps you may provide me a better insight than Dru C. Gladney, Justin Ben-Adams, Raphael Israeli, and other western writers who showed their interest on China. Even Mi Shoujiang and You Jia didn't provide much foothold for us to hold on to unless we meet them and share with them which not only time consuming but probably fruitless as who want to share with stranger(s)?
Wan
Aug 14, 2013 21:21
  • CHERRY07
There are just a few training schools and colleges for them. Most of them who are willing to continue their study will enter the same college like Han people. I remember that we have Muslim restaurant in our college.

Students from the ethnic groups enjoy preferential policies. The universities have lower passing marks for admission for them.
Aug 18, 2013 09:44
  • WANHU
Why the university doesn't base on meritocracy?
Wan
Aug 19, 2013 01:22
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I don't know why. Perhaps, you may ask the president of the universities. Unfortunately, some people don't cherish their opportunity to learn knowledge. I can't forget the story shared by my high school classmate. She told me that there was a Tibetan boy in her class. He seldom attended the classes. In the forth year of their college life, everyone was busy with their theses and jobs. That guy wasn't worried. At last, he didn't get the diploma for failing in too many exams. However, he said he didn't care about this. After graduation, he just went back to Tibet and found a job easily.
Aug 25, 2013 09:35
  • WANHU
Not after graduation, dear Cherry; he didn't graduate at all. Perhaps after the convocation day, he just went back to his hometown and secure a job that doesn't require any academic qualification.
Wan
Aug 25, 2013 22:48
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I don't know what kind of job he got. Perhaps, his job doesn't require any academic qualification. Or, he has a powerful daddy who can arrange him a good job.
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visiting Xi'an
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code