Menu
Would you accept your students’ precious gift if you were a teacher?
Sep 10, 2013 03:20
  • CHERRY07
When I walked to the bus station this morning, I saw some pupils carry flowers or gift boxes in their hands. Suddenly, I realized that today is Teachers’ Day. These pupils send flowers or gift boxes to their teachers as gift.

The pupils and the gifts in their hands remind me of how we celebrated the Teachers’ Day. Usually, there was a symposium on the Teachers’ Day. Our head teacher selected several excellent students to help her prepare for the symposium one day ahead of the Teachers’ Day. I was lucky to be selected to do this job. We were divided into three or four groups. Some washed the fruits. Some cleaned the room, the tables and chairs. Some decorated the room with the welcome signs. When we finished our jobs, we were awarded with the apples, the pears or the bananas. We never knew how the symposium went on. On the Teachers’ Day, we just send some cards to our teachers as gifts.

Things have totally changed today. The parents prepare the gifts for their children and the children send them to their teachers on the Teachers’ Day. The greeting cards are no longer popular. Prepaid cellphone cards, shopping cards and other valuables are the main gifts. The parents know that cash can’t be sent as gift because it might make trouble for their children’s teachers. The most surprising gift I have heard about is a cherry tree. Of course the student’s parents don’t buy a cherry tree for their child’s teachers. They just reserve a cherry tree in the orchard near the school so that the teachers can go to the orchard to pick up fresh cherries in person. It costs around 10000 RMB to reserve a cherry tree in Shenzhen.

If you were a teacher, would you take any valuable presents from your students?
Sep 20, 2013 02:10
  • WANHU
Some parents are willing to pay a lot in order to show their appreciation to the teachers, for disciplining and educating their children. Almost the whole daylight, their children are in school, thus it is fair to appreciate and celebrate teacher's day.

In my wife's kindergarten, the teachers would prepare food on that special day and give every student food individually wrapped before they go home. The students would line-up and pick the food, while thanking and shaking hands with the teachers.

Wan
Sep 28, 2013 01:13
  • BBQQ
Wan,

The Teachers' Day is a day that the students show their gratitude for their teachers. Why do the teachers prepare food for them? I think the students should invite their teachers for dinner. Would it be regarded as "bribe"?
Oct 2, 2013 00:31
  • WANHU
The teachers too should show their gratitude to the society for being teachers, by discharging their duties well.

Bribe means we give something in expecting something in return, the wrong way. Giving gifts to your mother is not a bribe if it means showing your gratitude. But giving gifts to customs officer for not taxing your goods is not showing gratitude, the correct way. Teachers have the passion to teach and share knowledge with their students. By giving gifts on such an occasion I don't think is considered as giving bribe, but if the teachers ask for such gifts then it is indeed an unbecoming conduct.

Wan
Oct 8, 2013 21:53
  • BBQQ
Wan,

If all other parents sent gifts to their kids' teachers, would you do it? They want the teachers to "take good care of" their kids. In their opinion, they have no choice but have to send gifts. If other students' parents do this, they will do it too. They worry that their kids won't be treated very well if they don't give gifts to the teacher.
Oct 16, 2013 21:54
  • RAINDROP
Easy! All teachers love excellent students. I will do my best to make my child be an excellent student. And I will ask my child to send gifts to the teacher. The gift is just a bunch of flowers or a post card. It will never be expensive ones.
Nov 15, 2013 23:33
  • WANHU
I used to be a teacher once. Frankly speaking I taught students because I was paid to do so where without payment I wouldn't teach. But then as a teacher I had my responsibility to make sure I finished the syllabus, to make them understand what I teach. Some students are from poor family, thus during Teacher's Day I would spend some of my salary to entertain my students.

Students from rural areas are indeed very poor, some of them can't even afford to buy exercise book that costs less than 1 Yuan. Anyway accepting gifts from students and parents is not considered as bribe, but if we know that their gifts are meant for special considerations for their children, I would abstain.

Wan
Nov 17, 2013 21:18
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

If you are the only one that doesn't accept valuable gifts from the children or their parents, you will be isolated by other teachers.
Post a Reply to: Would you accept your students’ precious gift if you were a teacher?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code