Menu
Will fog and haze affect your China trip?
Oct 20, 2013 22:58
  • CHERRY07
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 3 vote(s)
  2. 5 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
I started this vote after reading this piece of news. Patti Austin, a 63 years old famous jazz singer in the US who also won the Grammy Award, canceled her performance in Beijing on October 18 because asthma attacked her after she arrived in Beijing.

According to the report, Patti Austin kept coughing when she arrived in Beijing. Afterwards, she went to the hospital and was diagnosed that she had a serious infection in the respiratory tract. It also led to the asthma so that she couldn’t sing songs for the audience.

The air quality index showed that the air was heavily polluted. According to the US embassy, the air was hazardous with the concentration of PM 2.5. One of her fans even suggests that Beijing should apologize to Austin for causing her to suffer from the asthma.

In fact, Austin is not the first foreigner who is the victim of the air pollution in Beijing. Many foreigners have the same symptom after they come to Beijing, that is “coughing”. Someone makes a joke that he suffers from the “Beijing cough” every time he comes. However, everything is fine when he gets back to his home.

To be honest, the fog and haze has visited many other places in China frequently. What can China do to cope with the fog and haze?

I also read from the FT that some mangers from the foreign companies refuse to move to Beijing though their companies promise to increase their salaries if they go. They are afraid of the air pollution.

What about you? Will the fog and haze stop you traveling in China? Will you avoid going to those cities that suffer from the fog and haze seriously?
Oct 21, 2013 22:55
  • BBQQ
I think I wouldn't visit a place full of fog and haze. Going there seems like a death journey. Why do I risk my life?
Oct 22, 2013 05:12
  • WANHU
We faced the same problem and more serious especially in June and July where Indonesia had an open burning. Even some schools were closed down because of the haze API reading more than 800. The Indonesian counterpart was angry when we questioned of their open burning. They said don't argue about who started the fire instead let us work together how to stop the fire. The open burning keeps on going, every year. We keep on dispatching firefighters.
Wan
Oct 22, 2013 20:49
  • BBQQ
Why do they burn something in public? You know, Chinese farmers used to burn the straws in the fileds. But they can't do that at present. Both Central and local governments forbid them to burn straws in the fields because it cause serious air pollution.
Nov 15, 2013 23:43
  • WANHU
They took the easy way out. Burning trees for replanting, In Malaysia during the sugarcane harvest, the burning will be by sectors so that the fire can be controlled.
Wan
Nov 17, 2013 21:12
  • JIMMYB
BBQQ & Wan,

Farmers burn straws to fertilize their fields. The ashes are natural nutrients. They are much better than chemical fertilizers. The chemical fertilizers will make the soil worse and worse.

I used to work in the fields during the summer vacations in middle school. I still remembered the first time that I took a hoe to loosen soil in our fields. It was the summer vacation in the second year of Junior Middle School. I got ten blisters on my hands. But my dad didn't let me go home. He just gave me a piece of handkerchief and asked me to cover my blisters. When I got back home, he used a needle to break all the blisters. He told me that my hands would recover soon when the blisters broke.

He also told me "Men have rough hands". I just thought that he tried to comfort me. Now I fully understand that he hopes me to become a man. Since then, I had worked in our fields in every summer vacation until I went to study in college.
Post a Reply to: Will fog and haze affect your China trip?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code