Menu
How much money did you spend for your wedding?
Oct 29, 2013 01:47
  • SUNNYDREAM
A boy makes a wedding list and asks his parents to prepare his wedding according to the list. Do you know how much money his parents need to prepare for him? Around CNY 420000.

Wedding list: around CNY 420000 in total. Details as follows:
Bride price: CNY 30000
First payment for an apartment: around CNY 200000
Apartment decoration: CNY 110000
Studio wedding photos: CNY 6888
Payment for the wedding design company: CNY 21888 + CNY 4000 (bride’s make-up, wedding emcee, live wedding photo and videos)
Wedding Feast: CNY 1888 for a table (He plans to hold his wedding at a grand hotel and prepares around 20 tables for all the guests)
Chinese liquor for wedding feast: CNY 128 per bottle. He needs 40 bottles. So the total cost is CNY 5120
Red envelopes given to the relatives: CNY 5000
Candies, drinks, cigarette, invitation envelopes and other wedding ornaments: CNY 2000
Nov 5, 2013 21:59
  • BBQQ
Sunny,

It isn't expensive. The first payment and decoration cost for the apartment should be eliminated from the total cost. Thanks to the new marriage law, girls' parents start to support their future son-in-law to buy the apartment. Why? They want their daughter's name to appear on the property ownership certificate. If the couple divorce someday, their daughter can get half of the apartment.
Nov 10, 2013 09:41
  • WANHU
420000 is not expensive? Wow!
Chinese today are rich people. My marriage is very simple, and we spent less than RMB10k for the whole occasion, from solemnisation, wedding feast and also gift to the bride. How about the house? I rented a house for 8 years before I could buy a low cost house.
Wan
Nov 10, 2013 20:16
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I just say it isn't expensive to spend nearly CNY 100000 for a wedding (excluding the payment for the apartment). But apartment is a necessity for a marriage today. It's difficult for those without apartments to find a wife today. Like you said, the husband is responsible for providing a shelter for his family.

Unfortunately, many Chinese men can't fulfill their responsibility without their parents' help. The expensive housing price should be blamed for this.

With all due respect, your way of thinking is not applicable in China today. When my parents get married, my dad wasn't required to buy an apartment. They lived together with my grandparents and uncles (What a large family we have). Today, fewer girls will agree to marry a man without apartment.

I remember I said that I could marry a man without an apartment. But the premise is that he together with me fights very hard for buying one in the future. I don’t want to from one apartment to another time to time. The apartment rental market is a mess in China. The landlord/landlady has absolute say. They can increase the rent randomly. As a tenant, you have no choice. You either leave or stay.
Nov 11, 2013 04:42
  • WANHU
I understand that dear BBQQ. From my previous responses you can see that how young graduates are not able to get married as their income does not tally with the needs of having a house. Some are lucky to have rich parents that can support them. These parents support them for their livelihood, education and even marriage! Having a house seems a compulsory requirement in China.

In my society, we never impose such a requirement because we know that young people can't afford to own a house although the price is indeed cheaper than in China. In our locality, such a requirement is an unnecessary burden to the young people or graduates, inculcating them to be in debt for the rest of their lives.

Wan
Nov 12, 2013 02:41
  • BBQQ
These parents support them for their livelihood, education and even marriage!

Chinese parents believe that it's responsibility to send their kids to school, watch them graduate, work and get married. Their biggest wish is that their kids can settle down and have a stable life. In the countryside, if a young man doesn't get married at the age like others, his/her parents will be laughed at.
Nov 15, 2013 23:18
  • WANHU
It's a burden to the parents, first they need to provide good education (besides foods, clothes and shelter), then make sure their child gets married and has a house. Later maybe take care of their grandchild. What a life in China.

Here in my country, we have strong family bond, but finding a house is one's responsibility. That's why most of us would rent a room or house until our income is more stable for us to buy houses. Like me, after 8 years of renting a house, then we managed to buy a low-cost house somewhere in Jinjang North, Kuala Lumpur. When our first child was born, both of us took care of her. After the second child was born she resigned from her job and took care of him for two years. Our life was hard but that's what we have to cope with.

Wan
Nov 17, 2013 21:26
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

It's lucky that girls in your country don't ask for apartments for marriage. Last night, I chatted with a friend. He told me that his girlfriend's family asks him to buy an apartment if he wants to get married with her. Besides, the girl's parents told him clearly that they don't have money to support him. But they ask him to put on their daughter's name on the property ownership certificate. What can he do?
Nov 30, 2013 13:20
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy, apartment means security to the girl. We also understand that. But with meagre income, how can a new graduate afford to buy an apartment? For me I won't burden my family for my marriage. Majority of young people in my country don't have a house when they get married. More than 80% young couples rent a house or apartment until they have stable income to buy one, either supported by financial institution or government loan.
Wan
Dec 10, 2013 21:35
  • JIMMYB
But with meagre income, how can a new graduate afford to buy an apartment?

Most young people can't afford the first payment. It's their parents who pay for them. If the girl is insecure if she gets married with a man without an apartment, then she might find a guy who has an apartment. It's her call. For the boys without apartments, they just maintain their bachelor identity.
Post a Reply to: How much money did you spend for your wedding?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code