Menu
Smiles
Nov 4, 2013 04:58
  • ROSEMARY4220
I am one of those people who is nearly always upbeat and find many things a day to smile about, could be like smelling a beautiful flower, watching a child play or just by feeling good. I always believe that a smile is a gift we give to others but have met many people who just don't smile. I have met many Chinese who don't smile, even here in Australia. What i would like to know is, why don't Chinese smile ??? Is it a cultural thing,' or do they find it offensive ?
Nov 4, 2013 20:43
  • JIMMYB
Rose,

I think you will change your mind if you see young kids and young lovers. I almost get mad when I meet these guys on the bus. You know, I am a person who prefers to enjoy quietness. When they get on the bus, they laugh and talk very loudly. It's very annoying.

However, middle aged people seldom smile. It's difficult for you to capture any emotion signs on their faces. Do you know why? They burden too much pressure. They have to compete with the young guys for jobs and raise their families. Life is not easy for them.

In a word, the older they are, the fewer smiles show on their faces.
Nov 4, 2013 21:02
  • ROSEMARY4220
Thank you for your views Jimmy but I'm a young grandmother ,love the noise of kids on the bus but can understand how some people can be annoying, like when they are talking loudly on mobile phones,this I must admit does annoy me. Last week I was on the bus and this one woman started her phone conversation about the time I got on and was still talking 20 minutes later when I got off, aargh . !!!!!! After raising my family I certainly understand pressure and live with it daily But still find reasons to smile , maybe I am just an extrovert
Nov 4, 2013 21:28
  • JIMMYB
Rose,

I had the bad experience like you three or four times. You know, It takes about 40 minutes for me to take the bus to reach the closest bus station near my home. Then I had to change another bus to get back home.

Just in three consecutive days, I had three different girls sit by my side. They just kept talking on the phone until I got off. It's forty minutes. I was wondering if they didn't feel thirsty after talking so long? These people feel bored when they are on the bus. Then they call their friends, boyfriends or girlfriends to kill the time. But they never care about other passengers.

Another phenomenon is young people are very busy looking at their cellphones on the bus. They either play games or chat with their friends via Wechat. It also happens at dinner table. My friend even set a rule when we have dinner together. We need to put our cellphones on the table together. The first one who picks up the cellphone pay the bill.
Nov 4, 2013 22:46
  • ROSEMARY4220
Jimmy do you have a mobile phone ? If you do, next time that happens on the bus pretend to Make a phone call and keep talking until they shut up hahaha. That must have been awful for you. 3 is a Lucky number in Feng Shui but in that case it certainly wasn 't. Maybe there is something great going to happen to you this week. See there is always something to smile about !!!!! Buses take such a long time ,especially when you have finished work for the day and that's the last thing you want to happen. I spend about 2.5 hours a day on buses and know what you mean. I love the part about if you use it at the dinner table you pay the bill. Hahaha
Nov 4, 2013 23:53
  • JIMMYB
Rose,

I have a mobile phone. But I won't do that. I would be definitely thirsty if I kept talking for forty minutes. You know, it's cold here and the air-conditioners on the bus starts to work. It's warmer inside the bus.

Another reason is that I am carsick a little bit. The drivers are very young and then don't drive stably. They slam the brakes on frequently. I almost threw up yesterday. So I just put on my earphone to listen to the radio. It helps me a little.

Here is another secret. I meet a girl almost everyday on the bus. We get on the bus at the same station but I get off earlier than her. She uses Wechat (a software like Skype) to chat with her boyfriend all the way. She doesn't talk very loudly but other passengers like me can hear their conversation clearly. I don't want to pry her privacy but I have no choice.

PS: Her voice is sweet. What a pity! I would talk to her if she didn't have a boyfriend.
Last edited by JIMMYB: Nov 4, 2013 23:56
Nov 5, 2013 21:53
  • BBQQ
Jimmyb,

It's really a pity. I was expecting a romantic story but it turns out to be a no ending one.
Nov 6, 2013 00:36
  • ROSEMARY4220
Jimmy I agree with BBQQ, a romantic ending would be great. Most people who talk on their mobiles all the time think no one can hear them when EVERYONE can hear them. If I was you I would start by saying hello every time you see her next week, then begin a conversation with her the following week. Even though she has a boyfriend anyone can have a friendly chat and who knows she may break up with him next month. Never go through life wondering "if". She could end up liking you better and the best relationships always start out as friendships. Good luck Jimmy !!!!!

PS. If you are shy to say hello, at least give her a smile, afteall a smile is a gift You give to others, even when you don't know them
Last edited by ROSEMARY4220: Nov 6, 2013 00:44
Nov 6, 2013 00:57
  • JIMMYB
BBQQ,

It is indeed a story with no good ending. She was disappearing for three days.

Rose,

I never think of getting acquainted with her. It seems that she maintains a good relationship with her boyfriend. Why should I interfere in between them? Someone is destined to be a passer-by in your life.

PS: A smile to her perhaps makes her regard me as an idiot. She is always busy talking to her boyfriend and never notice me.
Nov 10, 2013 09:03
  • WANHU
They simply do not want to smile. Other people also may have problems or feeling tired from a hard day's work but still have time to smile. When I was in Tanggu, Tianjin, some girls did smile and nod their heads to others but then people look at them with awe.
Wan
Nov 12, 2013 03:10
  • JIMMYB
Other people also may have problems or feeling tired from a hard day's work but still have time to smile.

They must enjoy their work very much. I should learn from their attitude.
Post a Reply to: Smiles
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code