Menu
Are you polite enough to the waiters or waitresses?
Dec 16, 2013 01:21
  • CHERRY07
When you order a cup of coffee or a table of dishes, do you speak polite words to them? A French cafe starts an interesting campaign to promote its coffee. If the customers speak polite words to the waiter or waitress, they will enjoy some discounts. The politer they are, the more discounts they enjoy.

It’s said that the cafe just wants to remind the customers of controlling their emotions. They want to tell the customers “It’s inappropriate and impolite to vent the bad feelings to the waiter or waitress.”

Did you yell at the waiter or waitress before? I did, especially when my dishes were not served quickly.
Dec 24, 2013 04:06
  • WANHU
Most ordinary restaurants in China do not serve well especially when providing cups, plates, and other table ware. Comparatively, I was served better at Baker & Spice in Pudong, although it's just a small restaurant.

Dear Cherry, you must be a strong girl to be able to yell. For me I won't yell because it will never solve any problem by yelling. If someone serves me, putting plates like flying saucers, I would leave the restaurant. Better eat at a lamian shop which is without star rating.
Wan
Dec 24, 2013 19:46
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Sometimes yell does work. Last Sunday was the winter solstice day. People in my city have the tradition of eating dumplings on the Winter solstice day. I went to a restaurant to eat dumplings with my friend at night. We ordered two plates of dumplings (40 in total). After waiting for 20 minutes, we still didn't get our dumplings but a couple who came into the restaurant after us got their dumplings and started to eat. I went to the reception desk and asked what happened to our dumplings. The waitress just told us "Wait a moment". Ok, we waited for another 10 minutes but still didn't get our dumplings. Then I yelled at a waitress loudly "When will our dumplings be served?" The waitress noticed that I was angry and went to the kitchen. Just a minute, she walked out and said "Sorry, I made a mistake when you ordered dumplings. You ordered dumplings wrapped with leek and pork but I took down vegetable dumplings. I am very sorry. Your dumplings will be served in minute."

Three minutes later, we got our dumplings. It tasted nice. Before we started to eat, we counted how many dumplings we got on our plate. It's 40. I told my friend that I would report the restaurant to local industrial and commercial bureau if the number of the dumplings was wrong. My friend just smiled. She said she would have asked the restaurant to return her money and have left after waiting for 30 minutes.

Wan, you can try to yell next time if the restaurant doesn’t provide good service. It does work. If you yell, then other customers will know what happen to you. They might leave immediately like you. For example, if you find a fly on the plate, you should yell loudly if the restaurant doesn’t compensate you. The restaurant will try their best to make you calm down. If other customers hear that you find a fly on the plate, they will think the dishes here are dirty. As a result, they will leave.
Dec 26, 2013 18:13
  • WANHU
It happened to me a few times. After 30 minutes of waiting I would leave the restaurant and pay for my tea (some restaurants charge for the Chinese tea). At one time, seeing me leave the restaurant, two waitresses were running with my orders asking us to wait. I told my friend to inform them we came earlier than others, but those coming later than us were served food earlier and better. Let them consume the food that we ordered.
Wan
Dec 28, 2013 21:26
  • CHERRY07
Wow! You had the same experience like me. Today, the waiters and waitresses use high-tech appliance to record the customers' orders. Once they push some keys, the dishes you ordered will show up to the chefs directly. It's fast and convenient. When the dishes are served, you will see a very tiny piece of paper on the edge of the plate. It clearly shows who cooks this dish.
Dec 31, 2013 01:57
  • WANHU
I did notice something printed on a piece of paper at the end of the plate, I thought it was just the menu I ordered.
Wan
Dec 31, 2013 03:39
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Printed? I just see a very tiny piece of printed number on the edge of the plate. It tells you which cook cooks the dish.

In a word, if the waiter or waitress is polite to me, I will be polite to them.
Jan 10, 2014 10:16
  • WANHU
Well I can't comment anything as I can't read Chinese writing.
Wan
Jan 21, 2014 03:28
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Well I can't comment anything as I can't read Chinese writing.
Wan

At least you recognize Arabic numerals. I have been to some restaurants and the numbers are used to represent who makes the dish. Their real names never show up.
Jan 21, 2014 04:49
  • WANHU
Not only Arabic numerals but also its writing. In fact I do recognise Chinese writing, only I can't read, hehe.
During my younger days, some of my neighbours were Fujian dialect speakers we called Hokkien and I did learn a few words and able to go to shops and buy things using those simple words. My late father could speak Hokkien very well but he had no time to share as he passed away when I was still at a tender age. In my primary school, we learnt the Arabic character we called Jawi, and later I picked up one Indian language, Tamil, as I wanted to visit its southern region. I could read and write but then due lack of practice, I can still read and write but do not know its meaning.

Wan
Jan 22, 2014 03:15
  • CHERRY07
Wow, you master more than one foreign language, English, Jawi, Tamil, Arabic.... How many foreign languages have you learnt?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are you polite enough to the waiters or waitresses?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code