Menu
You are poor because you don’t work hard enough?
Jan 24, 2014 00:55
  • BBQQ
A child from a wealthy family has greater chance of being a wealthy man. A child from a poor family has little chance of being a wealthy man but has ten times greater chance of being a poor man.

This is the reality. The wealthiest become wealthier and wealthier while the poorest become poorer and poorer. Why does it happen? Someone says “The poorest gets poorer because they don’t work hard enough”. Sometimes, it’s too difficult to change your life even you work harder ten times than others. A poor guy can’t change the social factors that lead him to be poor.

“Let some people get rich and some areas get prosperous and then the poor people and areas will be stimulated and get rich and prosperous with the help of those who get rich first ”. It’s said by one of the greatest Chinese leaders in modern history. Some people do get rich but the gap between the rich and the poor has widened in these years. According to the National Bureau of Statistics of PRC, Gini Coefficient in 2012 was 0.474. A survey conducted by a Chinese university tells that Gini Coefficient in 2010 already exceeded 0.61.

It’s difficult for us to figure out whose data is reliable. However, there is common view “Gini Coefficient has exceeded warning line 0.4 ”, which indicates the gap between the rich and the poor is too wide.

Feb 10, 2014 07:58
  • WESTRABBIT
Insightful on its face, but the reality is more complex and insidious than your comment.

It is the lack of a "fair playing ground" that stacks the odds again the poor. It is the arrogance and complacency of the wealthy, particularly their offspring, that constantly swirls them towards the poverty; or should i say less wealthy. Once the mountain is climbed the descent is less likely than the more unlikely ascension.

It is not only hard work that is required for the poor, it is the ability to adapt, improvise and persevere against all and ANY obstacles. This is a reality easier for the rich, but the skills and moxie fade with passing generations. That which gets the father/mother to a plateau up the slope is perverted by their offspring.

Granted, this perspective is borne out of my own life and not from study.

The gap you speak of is so wide as to be ridiculous. If i had access to y0u tube i could post interesting analysis previously done.

thanks for you message,
srabbitt
Mar 17, 2014 20:39
  • BBQQ
Well said, Westrabbit. What a cute name!

The gap I talked about isn't ridiculous. If you come and live in PRC for a while, you will agree with me.
Mar 26, 2014 07:11
  • WANHU
I was born from a poor family, and after years of hard toil, I am still poor as classified by monetary values and gains. But I am thankful and appreciate the life that i have, even managed to travel half of the globe. Many of my friends who are rich, become thrifty thus travel less because they will definitely lose money on travels. When I told them that I have visited China more than sixty times, they were astonished as I only have 35 days of annual leave.
Wan
Apr 8, 2014 21:45
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I don't want to be very rich. But I fight for a decent life. I have a dream that one day I can afford to buy my own apartment so that I won't be afraid of being driven away by my landlord. I have a dream that one day I can have my own car so that I won't squash into the bus every morning. I have a dream....

I am an ordinary. I just want to have an ordinary life.
Apr 15, 2014 22:49
  • GRIZ326
It is not matter how hard you work, but rather how smart you work.
It doesn't matter how smart you work, if you are not laser focused on an objective.
It doesn't matter how focused you are, unless you are focused on the critical few issues to achieve your objective.

If you want to be rich you must learn how money is made. I spend 20+ years in radio and television and could not tell you today how broadcast stations make so much money. However, I have a number of former colleagues who figured it out and made great sums of money.

So you are not poor because you don't work hard enough unless you are lazy.
Oct 5, 2014 05:09
GUEST13355 I am very poor, not poor...and not because am I am hard working, because of the social injustice in my country...If I will have a child I wish for him to leave in a country with the least social injustice...already many young students are going abroad...and I understand why.
Post a Reply to: You are poor because you don’t work hard enough?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code