Menu
Chinese Food - Very Oily & Very Salty?
Nov 23, 2005 20:52
  • SNOWBIRD
I have been to China a few times on organised tours. Each time, without fail the tour guide will comment that the chinese food is very salty and very oily.

I have since found out that this is not quite true. Chinese food may be very oily and very salty in the past. This is because today's chef & restaurants are well aware of health conscious locals & tourists. They have tried to prepare food differently to suit the taste.

What are your experiences?

Nov 23, 2005 21:02
  • CALIFORNIA
You know,china has many kinds of food,and most of them oilier than western food!Generally,the northern food is salty,especially,NE food!But south food is lite,for example,Shanghai cai and Guangdong cai!
But every food is delicious!

Nov 23, 2005 21:13
  • CONNY129
different area has his own feature , you must can find what you like in China for there are so many different cuisines :P
Nov 24, 2005 00:11
  • CONNY129
yup ,if you don't like oily or salty dishes,try to avoid to order them ,that'll be ok :P

Canton cuisine is lite and mild I think
Nov 26, 2005 20:42
  • GAZ07
Chinese food is great!

One of the highlights of my trip to China was simply eating the local food, both restaurants and street markets.

I think Thai food is the best in Asia, followed by Chinese (although Thai's have taken lots of ideas from China i.e. noodle soup). Of course, i love english food too.

A lot of dishes were salty and even more so, oily! But i don't care, it tastes great. For me, the best food in China was Guangzhou and Sichuan.

A friend of mine in China told me, Chinese food should: Look good, smell good and, most importantly, taste good!
Nov 27, 2005 02:43
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Gaz,
Quote:"Look good, smell good and, most importantly, taste good! "===色香味俱全!!!

In China,Dongbeicai is my favorite,and I also love russian and korean food!

Nov 27, 2005 17:17
  • GAZ07
My tip for any visitor to China:

Don't just order chicken and rice! Ask what local Chinese are eating, because there is much much much better food available than boring chicken and rice!
Nov 27, 2005 19:09
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Gaz,you are so clever:-)I am sure you had an splendid FOOD trip in China:-)

Nov 28, 2005 20:06
  • CONNY129
Compared with Japanese Cuisine ,Chinese food may be oily and salty ,but it does taste well ,and the local dishes are much cheaper . there won't be any excuse for you not to try Chinese cuisine :P
Apr 16, 2013 00:37
GUESTSCOOX After living nearly 3 and a half years in China, I conclude that there are two types of food in here: home-made and restaurant food. The food that people complain about is no doubt restaurant food. Chinese restaurant food in China all tastes the same and is too oily and/or too salty. There is no excuse for using so much oil. In my university several people had to complain to the canteen manager about the amount of salt being added (in China there are no salt shakers so you can season to your own taste). Chinese home-made food is a very different story though, and is delicious. Anyone who has has spent time with a Chinese family will tell you this.

Personally I am sick of Chinese restaurants and now I cook my own food, still using mostly locally available ingredients.

Aug 19, 2018 00:39
GUEST17181 Chinese food from Southern area of China like Guangdong, Chaozhou, Hainan, and Fujian aren't as salty and greasy as Chinese food from other areas of China, especially Northeastern area of China.

Chinese food from Chaozhou stands out as being the healthiest because less oil and salt are used for cooking Chaozhou Chinese food. Steaming, braising, poaching, boiling, double-boiling, and stir frying are more likely to be used for cooking Chaozhou Chinese food.

Cantonese food is pretty healthy as well because Cantonese food doesn't use much oil and salt for cooking, even though there are some Cantonese dishes which aren't exactly healthy e.g Dim Sum, Roasted Meats, Salt and Pepper items, Cantonese Fried Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Food - Very Oily & Very Salty?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code