Menu
What is your favorite city of China?
Apr 8, 2007 12:37
  • LIONPOWER
Until many people gather there
Apr 16, 2007 08:13
  • JOHN22
I have been living in Haikou, Hainan for over a year now. There are many reasons why its great place to live: Tropical climate (tropical fruits growing everywhere), relaxed pace of life, much cleaner air compared to most of mainland China, the rest of Hainan is easy to explore in your free time (beaches, mountains, cool little villages, jungle etc), inexpensive, its a large enough city to find most of what you need in terms of shopping & entertainment, i could go on...
Apr 16, 2007 22:02
  • ALICEGAO
As for me, I prefer to stay in big cities when I'm still young, u know, lots of good working opportunities, chances of knowing more people, updated infor...
But, I'd like to spend a long while of my life in YANG SHUO of Guangxi province later, well, hard to tell right now, I'm not sure whether I would still so appreciate the beau scenery like I do now once stay there too long. blah.
Apr 17, 2007 01:24
  • FRANKENSTEIN
This post looks very hot~
Apr 17, 2007 05:12
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
This year, I hope to complete my fifth trip to China. I have previously visited Hong Kong, Macao, Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Tianjin, Kunming, Lijiang, and Guilin/Yangshuo always as a tourist. Defining a favorite city is difficult. China is such a vast country. This year I will visit Xian and Chengdu (Kunming and Lijiang again). For me, defining a compelling moment at a particular place is perhaps easier.

I remember sitting in the square in Lijiang, watching Naxi people dance to local folk music and the expressions on the faces of the old men and women. The old town, perhaps restored for the many tourists that visit annually, is still a place to behold. Old town is a maze of narrow, twisting, cobbled brick streets lined with shop after shop. The layout of the city, with its many rushing streams that parallel the narrow walkways adds to experience. Buy a steamed bun or two at 6 am in the morning and sit by a fast running stream of water in Lijiang!

Now, I want to venture past the major tourist spots. At 60, I returned to college this year and will be completing my first semester of Mandarin! I want desperately to speak to these people who intrigue me so much and sense that learning the language is the first step in breaking down barriers and stereotypes. Go to Lijiang!

老汉 理查 (old man Richard)

Apr 18, 2007 01:44
  • ELLEN77
I share the same concern with Alice, I also want to find a city which is modern and has plesant climate and where the new things are more easily accessible during my young age.
And Richard, Lijiang is really a good place. I have known that some say Lijiang is called 'the Small Suzhou on the Plateau' . Have you found they are similar since you have been to both?
By the way, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Shanghai are also the places that are in my favorite.
Apr 18, 2007 21:57
  • MAY001
"At 60, I returned to college this year and will be completing my first semester of Mandarin!"

Wow, Richard, you are great!!
Apr 20, 2007 10:52
  • LIONPOWER
Yes,
Learning from birth to grave

Sharif
SZ
May 3, 2007 02:53
  • DAVEC
So far I have only visited Foshan and it was ok but not great. This year I will be visiting Yunnan and from the images I have seen in books it looks like a place I would be happy living in.
May 5, 2007 21:04
  • WINDENERGY
Hi, all

Sorry that I am so late in responding to this thread, I just found it today I strongly disagree with California in his comment on Kunming. Kunming is NOT a poor city, in fact, it has several 'world-class' desinations. Also, the hotel availability and rates are superior to eastern Chinese cities.
Melody Chow, maybe wecan meetin the 4-season Spring City. I am planning to be back there in late June and July. I might start working at a University there this summer.
I believe that Kunming, Yunnan Province, is the nicestcity in China. The weather is mild, the streets are far cleaner than any other big city in China, people are friendly and the locals actually understand my Chinese dialect (PuTongHua) when I talk with them!

__WINDENERGY__
Page 6 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What is your favorite city of China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code