Menu
Expat community in Qingdao
Mar 14, 2013 20:08
  • GOGREEN

Hello~~

Hi! I am moving to Qingdao in two months time with a 9 years old kid, I know that there are some international schools in Qingdao. Among them, please kindly advise which school has more students whose native language is English.
Apr 10, 2013 01:17
  • GHOST
GoGreen, I sent you a private message. Please check your message box.
May 10, 2013 09:56
  • AGGIE9438
Hi guys,

My first time being an Ex-pat/moving to China.

Had a few questions and would greatly appreciate feedback.

My situation:
Single guy, mid 30s, lived in the US all my life. Not married, no kids. Speak English, Spanish, French and Chinese. I have been asked to relocate to QD by my job for a "few years". Have traveled to QD twice and I think its pretty nice.

Questions:
1. What part of QD is a nicer place to live in? Not looking for fancy/extravagant. I'd prefer an area with more expats and a safe and clean community. Pet friendly is a plus.

2. What are housing costs like for a 2 bedroom/2 bath? Is it reasonable to expect to find something decent for 6000-7500 RMB/Mo? How about costs like utilities and internet, apartment parking etc.

3. Has anyone taken their Dogs with them to China? What is it like in Apartment life with a medium sized dog (45-50 lbs). I'm assuming expecting to find a place with a yard for the dog would be prohibitively expensive. Are there any places that are pet friendly? Restaurants/Dog parks/beaches etc?

4. Do any of you guys drive yourselves in QD? I imagine driving there is much easier than in Beijing. I'm being provided a company car but there was no mention of a driver. Car will be a GL8?

5. Anything in QD that you don't have that you miss?

6. What is recreation like? I see theres a hash group, is road biking something that is common/safe?

7. Looks like QD has a nice sized expat group and is pretty active. I'm looking forward to meeting up!

Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated.
May 18, 2013 03:39
  • GHOST
Hi Aggie

Lots of questions....! You say you've been to Qingdao twice so you hopefully will know your way around a little.

1. Hard to answer this one as a lot depends on your requirements. Do you want somewhere close to the city centre (Jusco area) or as you have a car is further away not a problem (bear in mind the traffic congestion coming in and out). Somewhere along the seafront or more inland. The expat community is spread all over the place but mostly in the Donghai Road and Xiang Gang Road area. Pets are no problem as they are very popular with Chinese at the moment.

2. Prices vary according to location but most places are easily within your budget. Housing complex parking can range from RMB 80-300 per month. Utilities and internet less than 300 per month if you're not excessive.

3. I know people who have brought dogs with them to China so it's possible. No dog parks, but most places are dog-friendly. Just clean up after the dog!

4. Traffic congestion continues to get worse in the city centre. Driving rules look the same as in the USA but Chinese pretty much regard them as suggestions. Basically, anything goes, and who says it's your right-of-way!

5. Certain food-stuffs are hard to obtain but it's getting better all the time. Expect to pay more than you're used to for western goods.

6. Recreational facilities are limited. Next to no clubs. Cycling is becoming more popular but Qingdao is generally regarded as 'too hilly' for everyday use. There's a few destinations within reach of the city and a couple of good bike shops in town.

7. There's a business forum (QIBA) and an Expat group (Qingdao Expat) as well as social networking opportunities. Enjoy your time, remembering that this is China, so it's not wrong, just different!

Jun 23, 2013 07:56
  • RAY_MURPHY
hey ya my name is ray, im an irish lad and im in qingdao in the jiaozhou area of it about 60 kms away, i went in to qingdao itself and its a cracking place with great nightlife and some good language schools, i am teaching here also and i am so angry with my boss for not telling me i am so far from the city :(
Jun 23, 2013 15:42
  • GHOST
Ray, there's not much you can do I'm afraid! I know a couple who live in Rizhao, a little past you, and they come in every Friday night, stay in a budget hotel, and head back on Sunday night. Something you can consider as long as you don't work weekends - but seeing that you're an English teacher... weekends are probably you're busiest time!
Sep 19, 2013 10:38
GUEST19166 Hi everyone!
I am Luca, and I am moving to Huangdao next month due to business reasons.
I lived in Qingdao for five months this year (i was a student at HaiDa), so I kinda know the city, the night life and stuff like that concerning the centre.
But since i have to chose an apartment and live by myself in Huangdao, which area do you suggest me?

Thanks!
Oct 31, 2013 04:29
  • GHOST
Somewhere near the Jusco department store in Huangdao is probably best. That seems to be where most the good shops, restaurants and coffee bars are. Getting into Qingdao is now much easier because of the bridge so you aren't too far away!
Nov 6, 2013 01:01
GUEST70144 Hi all

I am a Chinese person with 5 years teaching experience in Dalian, but Qingdao is my hometown, i am considering move back and find a job in an international school in Qingdao. There are few international schools, like the MTI, Yew Chung, QISS... but not enough information to figure out which one is better. Any suggestions? Thank you very much!

BTW, not Korean and Japanese school though. Thanks again.
Dec 4, 2013 03:03
GUEST41175 If you want to internship or travel Qingdao,please contact me,I can help you,I am a professional chinese teacher in a culture exchange center,and my company is business for internship and chinese learning.
My skype:natasha.ren and my email:renjie1988132126.com
Page 8 of 9    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Expat community in Qingdao
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code