Menu
High prices... what do we do?
Apr 14, 2008 19:57
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
This news item may add some perspective into this discussion:

[[[China March CPI up 8.3%

China's consumer price index rose by 8.3% in March, down from the 8.7% recorded in Feb., central bank vice governor Liu Shiyu said in a report carried by the China Business News. Liu made the remarks at a financial forum in Shanghai over the weekend. [Source: www.qq.com]]]]

I'm not sure how to interpret this, but I would not be surprised if prices of basic goods actually rose by this much during the past few months. How does this affect you? What can average folks like us do?
Apr 14, 2008 23:07
  • BBQQ
"What can average folks like us do?"

I really don't know what we should do. Who should be blamed for this? Everything hikes, food, milk powder etc. It is said that Pepsi is also going to raise the prices. The report says that the global food reserve just can last for 53 days. If the prices keep soaring, the war might be caused. This is said by some economists.
Apr 15, 2008 02:01
  • LEON8ME
Think globally, act locally. Support your local small farmer. Develop a local community of farmers and gardeners. Grow your own garden, even if it is in a little pot on a roof somewhere. Make gardens, not parking lots. If you are in big cities, make friends with people who want to create more parks, green space, and community gardens. Re-connect with relatives and friends who still live in the countryside. In a famine, a poor farmer near a clean river is far more wealthy than a rich executive in a city skyscraper.
Apr 16, 2008 20:53
  • JIMMYB
Leon8me, good suggestions. All are applicable.

BBQQ, I am with those economists. High food prices might trigger a war. Perhaps, I worry unnecessarily.
Apr 22, 2008 23:20
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I knew it! I knew it! I should start planting lettuce, corn and tomatoes instead of growing grass on my yard. O_o
Apr 22, 2008 23:52
  • JCNILE123
Shesgottobe, it is ok! Keep the grass; buy a goat.

Think about it, wool, meat, milk and a pet.
Apr 23, 2008 00:22
  • GARYKINKADE
Read, read and be prepared to take action. I'm sure China with all it's great history has suffered famine in the past and there are bound to be books relating to these events.
The problem now is an increase in population of major metropolitan areas, so when economic disaster hits these people will be at a great disadvantage "stuck" and unable to move. Hope that they have relatives or friends still in the country.
The same problems exists here. The majority of young people don't even know what the Depression of 1929 was, let alone how, when or why it happened. There's gonna' be a lot of people in for rude shock if the economic situation continues to worsen. Do you think our dear government or financial leaders will forewarn us of events? Why hell no sir!! Everything is all rosy. Have a GoodDay.
Apr 23, 2008 09:12
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
JCNILE123, I think pet and meat are mutually exclusive, so SHESGOTTOBE will have to choose either wool (cashmere, actually) and meat or milk and a pet. She can't have all four. =P

Apr 24, 2008 00:48
  • JCNILE123
Muddiedk,
(((JCNILE123, I think pet and meat are mutually exclusive)))

I have to agree with you on that one as long we do not enter in to a famine.

Any way, I think I need to switch to lawn mower, what about that?
So, it is wool, milk, pet and lawn mower, can that work?

I just want to keep the four number as a pack, He, he

Now I need SHESGOTTOBE’s approval on this.

Apr 24, 2008 22:54
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Do you have an affinity with number four, JC? :P

Ugh! Lawn mowing season. Maybe I should really get a goat. Leave it and when I get home my lawn is trimmed with no effort at all. LOL!

Well, I cannot eat a pet. My father used to raise chickens before and I wouldn’t eat them. I mean killing them and then eating them. Maybe if they die before I do and I am really, really desperate for food, who knows? :P
Apr 25, 2008 18:55
  • JCNILE123
Ok, Shesgottobe, if in agreement I will deliver your goat with UPS.

(((Develop a local community of farmers and gardeners. Grow your own garden, even if it is in a little pot on a roof somewhere)))
(((Re-connect with relatives and friends who still live in the countryside)))

So, Shesgottobe I hope are you happy. Since with need to start some where, we can start at your home, we need to rush to plant tomatoes and search for the lost relatives some where deep in the woods.

I think I am going back home... Goodness, I almost forgot about it, the white man sent us to the Indian reservation!
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: High prices... what do we do?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code