Menu
British gentlemen are disappearing?
Apr 29, 2008 03:06
  • JIMMYB
A poll has revealed that British people have become ruder than ten years ago. Many British people believe that they have the biggest problem---bad manners. Many people blame their parents for not stamping it out. It seems that there are fewer gentlemen in Britain.Here are ten most hated bad habits made by the participants.

No.1 Spitting.
No.2 Swearing.
No.3 Queue jumping.
No.4 Not saying please or thank you.
No.5 Playing music on an mp3 in public.
No.6 Passing wind/belching in public.
No.7 Speaking loudly on a mobile phone in public.
No.8 Inconsiderate driving e.g. stealing a parking space.
No.9 Not giving a seat up for a pregnant passenger.
No.10 Not holding the door for the next person.

What do you think of those bad habits? Do you have any bad habits listed above?

Apr 29, 2008 03:33
Guilty of No's 2, and 6 but do make an effort to avoid if possible.
I don't own a mp3 or a car so not guilty there.
Alan
Apr 29, 2008 04:18
  • DODGER
Sorry,
I read through this list and couldn’t find anything wrong.
Is this the reason I haven’t got any friends?
Dodger.
Apr 29, 2008 07:13
You mean this is why they DODGE you, he he
Sorry mate I couldn't resist, as for me I blame the Baked Beans!! and I swear blind it wasn't me guv.
Alan
Apr 29, 2008 09:48
  • BARONTWANGLE
I don't think it is possible for any English person (Gentleman or not) to avoid saying "please", "thank you", and "sorry" at every available opportunity. It is in our blood! Most British people are very considerate too (there are exceptions!), so playing MP3 loudly, or talking loudly on the phone in a public environment is something most of us would not do. If someone calls me when I am on a train, I will answer and tell them I am on a train, and that I will call them back when it is more convenient to talk, rather than sit there and annoy everyone around me. I always hold doors open for people behind me, it is something I do without even thinking, but very seldom do people in China thank me for doing so, or even acknowledge that I did it at all. I'll still continue to do it however, because I am British, and that is what I am supposed to do!

The problem the British have is that they are probably the most considerate and polite culture on the planet, so when they go to other places, it appears that everyone is rude. It is more just a case of recalibrating what should be considered rude.

However, I do think that spitting in the street (or anywhere except one's own home) should be considered bad manners, not to mention unhygienic.

I think the British gentleman is still alive and well. Don't believe the western media - they are full of shit!
Apr 29, 2008 11:19
  • GRIZ326
British gentlemen?

Horsefeathers and flying pigs!

;-)

Apr 29, 2008 20:49
  • LIONPOWER
A pin droop ink on the white paper, we can see.
Can we see the dirties on the black paper?
Apr 29, 2008 21:02
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Nooooo!!!! They can't disappear yet. Say it isn't so.
Apr 29, 2008 21:39
  • CHYNAGYRL
I like British guys. They're a lot more polite than many guys in other countries -- and my Asian female friends have said this to me, with surprise when a British guy will open the door for them, or pick up their tab. Canada is a descendant of British culture, and our guys are very polite also. They do swear and drink a lot, but in terms of their attitude towards women I think they're much better than a lot of guys from other cultures.
Apr 29, 2008 21:40
  • CHYNAGYRL
oops i meant *some* guys swear and drink a lot... NOT all :-D
Apr 29, 2008 22:02
  • BBQQ
Baron, I also belive British gentleman is still alive and well because I saw one here on our forum. It is you. For me, I prefer a guy who is very polite. I seldom see that men around me hold doors open for the nex person. Perhaps, they are so busy that they have no time to do it. In China, at least in my hometown, I see many guys playing mp3 or talking loudly on their cellphones in public. Really annoying!
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: British gentlemen are disappearing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code