Menu
Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
May 16, 2009 03:06
GUEST20113 I PREFER CHINESE ENGLISH BETTER THAN AMERICAN OR BRITISH ENGLISH. ALSO I LIKE CHINESE FOOD BETTER THAN ANY OTHER. I LOVE HONG KONG BETTER THAN SAN FRANSISCO . CHAO MING IS GREAT PLAYER IN NBA
May 17, 2009 23:40
GUESTANYA CHINESE do not know enough English or American culture to have a preference; so choosing one is inappropriate. It would be better to follow the Queen's English or Oxford English as the language is known. American way of speaking English is most unsuitable for anybody not American.
Jun 12, 2009 00:23
GUEST38135 where all on the earth is spoken American English except USA???
And what would be the future the Chinese English vis a vis American or British english
Jun 18, 2009 14:36
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
There are about 64 different English dialects spoken around the world. The differences between them can be quite extreme. For example, many Americans find it difficult to understand people from Scotland, or even Ireland. Not to mention those who speak English with a British accent mixed with the accent from their home country.

Most linguists agree that the accent free English spoken in the U.S. mid-west is the most accurate in both pronunciation and enunciation. Of course, each person has his/her preferences. However, accent free is the purest form of English and offers the student the opportunity of learning what is considered in many circles as the "Global Standard" for English speakers.
Jun 25, 2009 12:33
  • LIONPOWER
In China, Chinglish is the perfect English. Sorry it is a joke but 50% correct. Hear how Chinese people sounds the English Alphabet? From little school to High school they practice on it. At upper class, when they study English under USA, UK or Australian teachers, they can't change their last 12 years practice. So result is ----??
My basic English is UK , now can fluently speak Chinglish, so my English popular to my Chinese friends as I can speak correct pin yin of Chinese in English.
How to say, which accent is popular?
Feb 14, 2010 09:14
GUEST09749
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIM_BRANTLEY View Post

Most linguists agree that the accent free English spoken in the U.S. mid-west is the most accurate in both pronunciation and enunciation. Of course, each person has his/her preferences. However, accent free is the purest form of English and offers the student the opportunity of learning what is considered in many circles as the "Global Stan...

Accent free English? Sorry Jim, but that is incorrect. There isn't such a thing as 'accent free'. There are however, mellower accents that are more easily understood.

May 14, 2012 18:11
GUEST19588 The American accent is nothing more than the obsession of those who learn to speak it. Hey, the USA is much bigger thn britain and has rammed it's influence down the throats of people all over the world. So of course, most English students now get no choice but to learn how to say phrases like "bedda compooda", and the like. Tell me - how exactly is that a clear pronunciation of "better computer"? It beggars beliefs the shallow defence made for the American accent being 'easier' to understand. They simply can't accept the fact that it is totally indistinct and slurred; most sound like they've consumed a fair amount of alcohol. British English is clear and distinct, and certainly the better choice for the more educated individual. Those taught British English always appreciate having done so; they definitey have far, far greater success in understanding all the other global 'English' accents than those left with the limitations of learnig American English.
May 15, 2012 09:22
  • WANHU
Some friends in mainland China still pronounce thousand as thourand, cold as code, world as word, easy as iji. Not to mention surprise becomes supplies.
Wan
May 16, 2012 02:03
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Some friends in mainland China still pronounce thousand as thourand, cold as code, world as word, easy as iji. Not to mention surprise becomes supplies.
Wan

Wan, I can pronounce world and word correctly but it's difficult for me to pronounce cold and code.
May 16, 2012 23:29
  • WANHU
You need to practice, Sunnydream. I have a few contacts in China, especially Guangzhou that we share English over either skype, msn or QQ. You'll be surprised to see how they developed their skills, many of them (especially Cantonese) no longer say sopping for shopping. I know one girl from Shandong since she was 15, and now 21 studying in one of the prime colleges there. Although she takes French instead of English, but when she phoned me one day,I thought at first she was an English girl from London. Indeed better than I am.
Wan
Page 3 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code