Menu
Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
May 20, 2012 02:40
  • SUNNYDREAM
Thank you, Wan. Sometimes, I am afraid of speaking English in public because I am afraid that some people might laugh at me if I do not speak English very well.

You are right. Practice makes perfect. I need to practice a lot.
May 20, 2012 09:11
  • WANHU
Language is for you to communicate. Please be aware that your English I think is better than most foreigners speak Chinese, and do you laugh at them when they make mistake(s)? Further, you're not teaching English, and also not a native English speaker. With this in mind, I speak and write English -- It does help, dear Sunnydream.
Wan
May 21, 2012 01:18
  • SUNNYDREAM
Thank you, Wan. Of course, I do not laugh at them. Maybe, I am too sensitive and shy.
May 21, 2012 23:00
  • WANHU
In learning you can't be shy. It simply stops you from advancing further. Yes we need to be sensitive and shy but at the right places and not during learning language(s).
Wan
May 21, 2012 23:06
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

In learning you can't be shy. It simply stops you from advancing further. Yes we need to be sensitive and shy but at the right places and not during learning language(s).
Wan

I understand it, Wanhu. But it is easy to change rivers and mountains But hard to change a person's nature. Anyway, I will try to conquer myself and make progress in learning Engilsh.
May 22, 2012 13:00
  • WANHU
We are not changing a person, dear Sunnydream, but you need to change yourself for the better. No one can change you. You decide what you want to be. Like other saying too, we can bring the horse to the water... it will drink the water if it is thirsty.
Wan
May 22, 2012 20:45
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

Thanks for your words. You really have enlightened me. I will do my best to improve my English, especially oral English.
May 22, 2012 22:25
  • WANHU
You're welcome
Wan
Jul 5, 2013 20:48
GUEST18791 Why there is such snobbery about what type of English accent people have I don't know, especially the way Americans like to push their version as a separate somehow superior version, English is from England, with many dialects and accents In the UK the source there are many alone, I think accents are important because they communicate where you are from, and your background
Jul 11, 2013 11:55
  • WANHU
Polish is from Poland, thus English from England, which is part of the Great Britain. Historically British were seafarers and colonisers, and through Mayflower they conquered America, as well as other countries including my country that used ti be called as British Malaya and British Borneo. The elders in my country speak good English with proper accent while youngsters couldn't care less, they create their own English with additional alien expressions. Language is for communication.
Wan
Page 4 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code