Menu
Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Jul 15, 2013 21:25
  • CHERRY07
Well, my English teacher in high school told us some difference between American English and British English. He suggested that we should stick to learning any one kind. My friend Abby went to continue further study in London. She told me that her professor required her to write English words in the correct way. Why? Our English books listed British and American spellings. Our teacher told us both are correct. Thus, we wrote them randomly. When she came to London, she was asked to write British English words.

If you use WORD, you will notice that words spelled in British English are marked with red dashed underline. The WORD reminds you that you don't write English correctly.
Jul 16, 2013 09:10
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07

If you use WORD, you will notice that words spelled in British English are marked with red dashed underline. The WORD reminds you that you don't write English correctly.

Dear Cherry, British English writes spelt and not spelled.
Wan
Jul 17, 2013 02:17
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Dear Cherry, British English writes spelt and not spelled.
Wan

Haha, I forgot to say that I learned "Mixed English".
Jul 17, 2013 07:23
  • WANHU
Learnt is past tense of learn while learned means someone knowledgeable and of scholarly status. I am not correcting you but just airing my opinion.
Wan

P/S Sometimes the American teachers tried to correct my spelling. Thus I apologised to them as I never learnt English the proper way.
Jul 17, 2013 22:54
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

Learned has the meaning like you said. But it is also a form of the past tense of Learn. Probably American English?
Jul 20, 2013 00:16
  • WANHU
When I was a student, I learnt to differentiate and compare a few available dictionaries including Webster and unabridged Oxford. The old Oxford has about 600000 entries while the second edition has 750000 entries of English words and over 3 million quotations and by far, the most comprehensive English language dictionary. I have the 12-volume set while the second edition I heard that it has 20-volume set.

Most Scrabbles players are familiarised with Merriam-Webster's dictionary where Webster's dictionary is the most comprehensive dictionary in the United States. Although I have several dictionaries and lexicons in my holdings, but I am not an English reader. These materials are just reference tools.

Wan
Jul 22, 2013 21:42
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I once read a member's post on this forum. He said "There is just English. There is no American English."
Jul 23, 2013 06:15
  • WANHU
He has his own opinion where in true sense we can agree, theoretically. Despite their accents, both are speaking English. In spelling, definitely there are two sets of English, American and British English. Honor (US), Honour (UK), Spelled (US), Spelt (UK), Learned (US), Learnt (UK), Behavior (US), Behaviour (UK), Jewelry (US), Jewellery (UK), Neighbor (US), Neighbour (UK) and I could go on and on from sunrise to sundown.
Wan
Jul 23, 2013 21:47
  • BBQQ
Haha,

The dictionary I use is Oxford Adanced Learner's Dictionary. Each word has at least two pronunciations (British and American). Some words also have two spellings.
Jul 23, 2013 22:07
  • WANHU
That is good, dear BBQQ. You don't have to refer to two dictionaries anymore. Maybe I can buy one for my reference. Speaking of reference, I often saw, whenever I visited China, students and guides used electronic dictionary, and at times asked me to spell so that they could search for the meaning. Sometimes it's kind of funny when they couldn't find the words in their electronic dictionary they would say: "Sorry sir, no have, what's mean?" I'd always inculcate them to read more books besides watching movies.
Wan
Page 5 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code