Menu
Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Jul 25, 2013 03:05
  • BBQQ
Dear Wan,

I don't know if they have advanced e-dictionary. I also had an e-dictionary when I was in high school. It doesn't work now. Mine has Oxford Learner's Dictionary. I once used it to memorize English words.

How do you remember English Words? Write them down many times?
Jul 27, 2013 12:09
  • WANHU
Dear BBQQ

Do you think by writing down English words could assist you to remember English words? That's what most English teacher did in primary school if a student made spelling mistake(s). I find it strange though not amusing where most mainland Chinese I know, have difficulty in their dictation for the letters B and P, and D and T.

Probably I am blessed with visitors than can't speak Malay well, and in order not to offend them with my thick Malay accent, we communicate in English. I don't and can't remember all those English words written in the dictionary.

Wan
Jul 28, 2013 03:05
  • BBQQ
Wan,

That's what we did when were at school. Both our Chinese and English teachers asked us to memorize words by writting them down one by one. I think it is useful. I am not kind of girl who can memorize the words after they saw them once.

When we were at college, we still needed to learn English in order to pass the CET 4 AND acquire our diploma. I saw my classmates reading and memorizing CET 4 vacabulary books. I tried but it didn't work. Later, I found that I could memorize more words when I reading newspapers. You know, sometimes I came across news words when reading newspapers. If I couldn't know what it meant, I could thoroughly understood the news.
Jul 29, 2013 03:05
  • WANHU
Dear BBQQ
When I was 12, I used to read a of western novels although the supply was scarce. Thus I usually would patronise used book shops that rented books for students. At first I managed to finish one novel per week, later I became a fast reader, 4 novels per day. My favourite authors were J.T. Edson, Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey. Sometimes I liked to keep those old western novels and read from cover to cover several times, and I could remember the Sackett family of Louis L'Amour, or the Floating Outfit of Edson's novels. Later when my holdings grew bigger, I had no choice but to let go of those books. More than 800 western novels that I have collected over the years, but I have to be practical though I love to keep them. I set my own library at my small home, using my own classification system, a mix between Universal Decimal Classification and Library of Congress.
Wan
Aug 21, 2013 00:36
  • REDMOND28
I find British accent better. For the very reason it is clear to understand unlike American accent which is overly stretched when pronouncing words.

But I do like the countryside or redneck accent of US. Just makes me giggle every time I hear it!

Mar 1, 2016 04:24
GUEST52243

The TRUE reasons why American English is preferred over British or Australian English:

1.) American English lacks the heavy, regional accent found among British and Australian speakers. This is important because anyone wishing to learn other languages besides English will find it much easier to pronounce new words correctly if they have a neutral (American) accent.

2.) Brits and Australians are extremely arrogant in their speech, mannerisms and overall character. Just because you graduated from Cambridge University doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about the English language and this is evidenced by the fact that British and Australian instructors make just as many mistakes as their American counterparts.

3.) Brits and Australians have a really bad habit of injecting politics into there English lessons. Foreign countries don't give a rats ass about your political viewpoints and a few British instructors I know personally have learned this the hard way by getting arrested and being deported for running their mouths.

Mar 5, 2016 15:26
  • WANHU
From my general observation, the Chinese could not care less whether it is American or British accent because majority of them are still struggling in grasping English words, and furthermore, there are English teachers from every corner of the earth who are teaching English, from Australia, Canada, USA, and other European countries. Strangely, even Filipinos are teaching English in China. English words are still pronounced with heavy Chinese accent.

Wan
Jun 14, 2018 03:34
GUEST82234 Me too,They didn't even know the accent they wanted
Page 6 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which do Chinese prefer, American accent or British accent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code