Menu
What do you think of awkward English translations at the tourist sites?
Dec 6, 2010 00:17
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Tourists visit the attractions to enjoy a bit of beauty or get a feel for a country’s history or culture. But when these tourist sites are mislabeled with confusing English translations, a pleasant journey can be frustrating.

Take North Square of [tcgurl=https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/bigwildgoose.htm]Big Wild Goose Pagoda[/tcgurl] in [tcgurl=https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/xian.htm]Xian[/tcgurl] (大雁塔北广场)for example, there are SIX kinds of translations: North Square of The Giant Wild Goose Pagoda, Da Yanta North Square, North Square of the Great Wild Goose Pagoda, North Plaza, North Square of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and Yan Ta Square.

One place has six English translations. Are you puzzled? Why not publish an official English translation? Beijing is a good example. The government had standardized translations of road signs and food names ahead of Olympics.

What do you think of awkward English translations at the tourist sites? Can you understand what they mean?
Last edited by CHRISTINE: Dec 6, 2010 19:12
Dec 6, 2010 09:28
  • DALLYHAPPY
Well,there are actually many confusing translations in public places, let alone places of interest. As China is getting more and more globalized and modern, I think it's necessary for the government and scholars to join hands for proper translations in public places.
Dec 7, 2010 01:58
GUEST4903 Xi'an is going to hold 2011 International Horticultural Expo Garden. More foreigners may come to Xi'an. It is time to correct those awkward and confusing translations.
Dec 7, 2010 02:27
  • HERBEAT
I don't think that would work. You could always find some funny translations. And to be honest I think it's something interesting to read. No need to change anything, lol
Dec 8, 2010 00:00
GUESTCINDY I think it is necessary to correct awkward english translations.otherwise persons from other countries can not understand the real culture of china.
Dec 8, 2010 00:11
  • HERBEAT
Well, the real culture of China? With lots of mis-leading tour guides' speech, no one would understand the real Chinese culture. That's for sure.
Dec 8, 2010 01:25
  • BBQQ
It is necessary to standardize those translations. Honestly, I am confused by the bus stops' names in Shanghai. It is usually combined by two roads' names. Beijing has set a good example. Almost all road signs, bus stops and subway stations are written in Pinyin. It is easy for Chinese people but foreigners may have some difficulties to read them.
Dec 8, 2010 08:50
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQQ View Post

It is necessary to standardize those translations. Honestly, I am confused by the bus stops' names in Shanghai. It is usually combined by two roads' names. Beijing has set a good example. Almost all road signs, bus stops and subway stations are written in Pinyin. It is easy for Chinese people but foreigners may have some difficulties to read them...

really i faced these problems in china when i was not familiar Chinese language, therefore why i am interested to learn Chinese language, but so far i couldn't found a friend who share Chinese language with me. now i can understand some words.
Dec 8, 2010 20:58
  • HERBEAT
Where are you Atta? I think in most big cities in China language exchange is quite popular and probably you could get some language exchange partner if you give it a try...
Dec 9, 2010 09:45
  • TINDY1982
I'd like to exchange language with you. I am a Chinese girl, you can reach me via msn.com|tindy31. yahoo.com.cn|yesterdaymagic. Language exchange, tour guider, be friends to share interesting moment in daily life.
Dec 9, 2010 10:12
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by TINDY1982

I'd like to exchange language with you. I am a Chinese girl, you can reach me via msn.com|tindy31. yahoo.com.cn|yesterdaymagic. Language exchange, tour guider, be friends to share interesting moment in daily life.

Nice I would like to share Chinese language.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of awkward English translations at the tourist sites?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code