Menu
The Romance of Three Kingdoms
May 18, 2012 01:58
  • WANHU
Yesterday I responded to Sunnydream's message about the book she bought, the Romance of Three Kingdoms. I am told that the history about the Three Kingdoms is San Guo Zhi while the novel is San Guo Yan Yi.

Malaysian Association of Translation and Creative Writing has taken the task of rendering the story into Malay language and had a soft launch yesterday. The price is quite high for ordinary income person like me, for a paperback 4 book (vol) is RM180 or aboutRMB370 while hardcover is RM250 or about RMB550. I wonder how much is that book in China?
Wan
May 18, 2012 02:53
GUEST14184 San Guo Yan Yi in China, the Chinese version, is very cheap if you buy online through some websites. But if you want copyrighted good ones, it should about RMB 300 or more. I have not seen any translation of this book, but the price must be higher just like what you said above.
May 18, 2012 11:41
  • WANHU
I have the English/Chinese version in three volumes, presented to me by the China Embassy in Kuala Lumpur
Wan
May 19, 2012 10:51
  • VANESSAZHONG
By the way, if you are interested in the hostory of Three kingdoms period,you may come to Sichuan Province in China. There are a lot of historic sites concerning it. The most famous one must be the Wuhou Temple in Chengdu.
May 20, 2012 01:28
  • SUNNYDREAM
Yesterday, I went to my friend's home to pick up cherries. It's the first time that I had had seen the cherry trees and pick up cherries on my own. My friend told me that it takes 10 years for a cherry tree to bear fruit. We had much fun at her cherry orchard. Really a wonderful experience.

Wan, you are right. San Guo Zhi and San Guo Yan Yi are different. San Guo Zhi was written by Chen Shou. It offers many historical records of the Wei, Shu and Wu. Many historians believe that it is a reliable source to understand more about the Three Kingdoms. Chen Shou once served as a civil servant of the Shu. After Jin

San Guo Yan Yi was written by Luo Guanzhong Its full name is San Guo Zhi Tong Su Yan Yi (三国志通俗演义). It is said that Luo Guanzhong wrote this novel based on San Guo Zhi. It contains historical records narrated in a literary way.

I bought San Guo Yan Yi because I was watching a new TV series of San Guo Yan Yi. I have noticed that there are many mistakes in the TV series. Some plots are not in accordance with those in the book.

Anyway, I enjoy reading San Guo Yan Yi.
May 20, 2012 10:25
  • WANHU
I have a few of the Chinese classics, including Journey to the West, Outlaws of the Marsh, etc. I used to read the Judge Dee series written by Robert van Gulik, a secretary for a Dutch mission in Chongqing during the nationalist party rule. When Communist Party took over in 1949, he moved out and became a researcher.
Wan
May 20, 2012 22:55
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan, Judge Dee is called Di Renjie in Chinese. I googled and found out that it was Robert Van Guiik who translated Di Gong An into English and made it published.
May 20, 2012 23:32
  • WANHU
In those days I loved reading books but I didn't love books, so I didn't keep them. Now I love books but then I feel at lost how to get those lost books back; I have only 11 books of the Judge Dee series with me. I also kept some translated works about Judge Bao by Leon Comber, a British expat in Singapore.
May 22, 2012 03:24
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wow, I didn't know that you were so fond of Chinese literary works. I almost keep all books I have bought. You know, my mom even kept my text books used in high school. Last year, we refurbished our house and found those books. They were too old and useless. So she sold them as waste paper.
May 22, 2012 04:25
  • WANHU
Now I have my own small private library about 6000 books fully catalogued and classified. I did the arrangement on my own using a simple DDC which I used to learn. Most of my books are reference. I don't know where to put the novels, and some of them I have disposed and sold to Used Book dealers.
Wan
May 22, 2012 22:04
  • SUNNYDREAM
A small library full of about 6000 books? Wan, it is not a small library. I just have less than 150 books.

I see you are a scholar.
Page 1 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The Romance of Three Kingdoms
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code