Menu
The Romance of Three Kingdoms
May 23, 2012 10:28
  • WANHU
I can never be a scholar without proper academic qualifications. Just remain a general worker for the rest of my life, haha. I can't even digest articles by Blaise Cronin.
Wan
May 23, 2012 22:47
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

I can never be a scholar without proper academic qualifications. Just remain a general worker for the rest of my life, haha. I can't even digest articles by Blaise Cronin.
Wan

Do not be modest, Wan. A person who has so many books are either a scholar or a researcher. What kind of books do you have in your private library? Novels?
May 24, 2012 01:28
  • WANHU
Usually I don't keep novels, because they take out a lot of space and furthermore the room is not that big. Most novels I dispose and sell them to used book dealers, got some money to buy a few new shelves. While old encyclopaedias I donated to schools, as we understand today, we can get info from internet; only some info like wiki is without authority. Still, some encyclopaedias, which I consider them rare and written with scholarship, especially by Orientalists like Kramer, Richard Burton, Nicholson, etc. I will keep in my library.

Wan
May 24, 2012 04:39
  • WANHU
Although there are medical, technology, arts, literature and history books, but my strength is on social sciences, including religions and culture. It is not easy for me to classify these materials, and even the national union catalogs of the Library of Congress do have mistakes in their classification numbers yet these cataloguers of the LOC are professionals.

The books in my holdings helped me a lot to kill time. It's not easy to keep these books against dust and silverfish. Before, I seldom go online to browse TCG, but now it seems both your comments, also from Lonely and others are quite interesting, a new discourse for me. Something to share to find truth and reality.

Wan
May 27, 2012 00:54
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

I didn't expect that my comments (my thoughts to be precise) were so much helpful. And this place is for me to know some friends and their thoughts about China. Very interesting too!
May 27, 2012 06:43
  • WANHU
It's good to know, to disagree in order to agree, etc. I'd like to observe and comment where ever possible and applicable.
Wan
May 28, 2012 03:29
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

It's good to know, to disagree in order to agree, etc. I'd like to observe and comment where ever possible and applicable.
Wan

It's good for me to exchange ideas with you too, Wan.
May 28, 2012 09:55
  • WANHU
Thank you for your kind thoughts and sometimes beautifully worded phrases. I may have been to China many times, and read a few articles on China; exchanging views, opinions and ideas is one of the fruitful discussions that I am always looking forward to.
Wan
May 29, 2012 04:35
  • SUNNYDREAM
You are welcome, Wan. It's a double win result.
May 29, 2012 11:02
  • WANHU
According to statistics, Malaysians read 8-12 books per year. With high cost of printing and publishing the end cost is burdened to the consumers, no wonder not many read books. I seldom buy books now. I will either go to the library to read or read e-book. I only buy which I need to keep, and to maintain my bibliographical citations on certain fields for further reference.
Wan
Page 2 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The Romance of Three Kingdoms
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code