Menu
Prostitutes talk to each other and laugh as usual in prison
Jun 12, 2012 02:59
  • WANHU
As a novice, I would rather learn the standard English first than slang; there are too large an area to cover. When I was in primary school there were two peace corps who taught us English, but I was too young to undestand because at that time it was too difficult for me to grasp their accent, one from Canada and the other one from Australia.
Wan
Jun 12, 2012 03:19
  • WANHU
Later years, I managed to visit both countries and in some areas I still need to listen clearly in order to understand their accents.
Wan
Jun 21, 2012 01:17
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Later years, I managed to visit both countries and in some areas I still need to listen clearly in order to understand their accents.
Wan

Generally, I can understand American cartoon movies without staring at the subtitles because the actors and actresses in the movies speak simple English.

But British movies are too difficult. There are many words that I do not know and the accent is difficult to follow.
Jun 21, 2012 01:23
  • SUNNYDREAM
one from Canada and the other one from Australia.

No wonder you failed to grasp their accent. What is standard English, American English or British English? I read a report somewhere that British people refuse to admit the existance of American English.

Seriously, my high school English teacher once suggested that we should stick to British English or American English. Unfortunately, I failed. If you talk to me, I might pronounce some words in British English but some in American English. If you ask me to write something, I might write all words according to American English spelling rules.

PS: The WORD do not accept British English spelling.
Jun 21, 2012 02:34
  • WANHU
For me, English is English, the only differences are accent, pronunciation and spelling, such as cosy and cozy, learnt and learned, legalise and legalize, organisation and organization, etc. We do not discuss on slang. My nephew studied English (TESOL) at Murray House and later at University of Edinburgh, while my sister in-law studied at UCLA but then she couldn't teach English there. What do you expect, a Chinese looking girl trying to teach English to American students? Later she teaches cross-cultural relations although her postgraduate major was English.
Wan
Jun 21, 2012 02:37
  • WANHU
Yes, Sunnydream, most English movies are slow and not action-packed as the American movies.
Wan
Jun 21, 2012 16:14
  • WANHU
British English movies*
Wan
Jul 5, 2012 01:42
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Yes, Sunnydream, most English movies are slow and not action-packed as the American movies.
Wan

Action-packed? The people in some American movies speak very fast and I can not follow them.

Wan, your nephew and sister-in-law are excellent. UCLA is good. I guees thaty your own kid must be excellent too.
Jul 5, 2012 06:51
GUEST86121 The correct English must be that spoken in England, however there are many regional accents even for such a small country that even the English struggle to understand. Slang introduced over the years also causes confusion, but the Chinese also have slang.

America also has regional accents some which are hard to understand and of course as such a diverse multicultural country there are language accents too. The nearest to UK English is probably found in the New England area, but even parts of New York not too far away are quite strong.

American English evolved in the 16th century from a mixture of English, Irish and European settlers. It is not surprising that it is different to UK English.

Jul 5, 2012 18:25
  • WANHU
in Malaysia is not like in China, here we have no restrictions on number of kids one family should have. I am number nine from a family of ten siblings, and I have 27 nephews and 12 nieces.
Wan
Page 3 of 9    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Prostitutes talk to each other and laugh as usual in prison
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code