Menu
What do you think of breast feeding in public?
Jul 18, 2012 20:36
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Probably China needs education on consumerism. Not to unite how to protest but rather to understand about the products we consume. Some of them may know the danger but do not realise its seriousness.
Wan

Wan,

Education isn't the key. Even they are aware that the food has quality problem, they still buy it. Of course, the maker might improve their food quality. But the maker doesn't learn a good lesson. Take Chinese dairy maker for example, many of the dairy maker were involved in melamine scandal. But they didn't learn a good lesson on food safety. A few days ago, one of the largest dairy makers was reported that its milk powder contains excessive mercury.

Consumers are too naive to believe that the makers will learn a good lesson and produce good products. In my view, all consumers should boycott those bad food makers and let them know "We have zero tolerance on them."

Wan, I'd like to know how your government deals with those food makers who make serious mistakes like the Chinese dairy makers above. If Malaysian people were put into the similar conditions, what would they do?
Jul 18, 2012 21:41
  • WANHU
Lonely, how to boycott when they don't realise the gravity of the situation due to lack of education? In this context it's not about academic or going to school but understanding the situation.

In my country we have Consumer and Consumerism Division under the Ministry of Domestic Trade. It's very effective. I had a problem with one credit card issuer in 2004, asking me to pay RM781. After explaining to the bank it stopped asking me about it until 2011 it surfaced back, from a legal firm appointed by the bank asking me to pay RM2560 with interest for a bad debt. I informed the Consumer Division by email. The officer of the Consumer Division copied my complaint to the Central Bank, and the Central Bank emailed to the said Bank and demanded answer(s) within 2 weeks. Within two weeks the bank sent me a letter apologising for their mistake.

Eight companies were charged and fined @RM10k each for infringement of copyright law for having unlicensed AutoCAD software.

Wan
Jul 18, 2012 21:46
  • WANHU
For food makers, it's also under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Environment and Public Health. Even we are not allowed to import herbs from China unless we have approval from the Ministry. For personal health, we are allowed to bring in herbs not more than 1kg under personal belonging failing which it will be confiscated by the customs.
Wan
Jul 18, 2012 21:48
  • WANHU
So far we don't have a situation like Sanlu Incident (or is it a tragedy?)
Wan
Jul 24, 2012 02:07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU View Post

So far we don't have a situation like Sanlu Incident (or is it a tragedy?)
Wan

It's not a tragedy. Guys who have credit card problems like you may spend more time solving their problems. I pay my respect to your government.
Jul 25, 2012 22:20
  • WANHU
The consumer complains and the government listens. In the past, making a passport would take about 14 days, now a passport can be done and ready within one hour. Unlike China, one has to go back to his respective hometown to apply, we can apply at any immigration (passport) office in Malaysia. Public transport is better in China than Malaysia.
Wan
Jul 29, 2012 02:55
Wan,

China is reforming. Usually, Chinese people have to apply for their passports at their home town because of their Hukou. Now several provinces have abolished this rule. The applicants can apply for their passports in the any city of the province. But I am not sure if they can apply their visa in this way.

Jul 29, 2012 16:31
  • WANHU
With the advent of information technology, I think China should allow the application of passport at any police station, like me, I may apply at any immigration department, even in small town. A country as advanced as China, would be able to identify its citizen and citizenship when processing any application for a passport. I don't really understand what Hukou is, but I'm sure the government has proper records about the family whom one belongs to.
Jul 29, 2012 16:33
  • WANHU
Visa can only be applied at any respective consulate office, unless you mean permission to Hong Kong and Macau.
Wan
Jul 29, 2012 22:09
Wan,

Hukou is very important to Chinese people. Usually, people got registered at their birthplace after they were born. Without it, you can not go to school. Also urban Hukou is better than agricultural Hukou because urban people enjoy better welfare.

You are right. China has the ability to let all local governments to share information and apply for passports (including permission to HK and Macau) at any police station. But the progress is too slow.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of breast feeding in public?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code