Menu
Did you receive military training in college?
Aug 29, 2012 21:41
  • BBQQ
What’s happening? Why are there so many cups on the playground? Aha, the cups belong to the new college students attending a military training afar. In China, one’s college life usually begins with a military training, to exercise volition, steel will power and improve physical strength, etc. It is indeed a pretty tough time, but impressive. What does the college life usually begin with in your place?

PS: I received military training as a freshman in college. It was an unforgetable experience.

Sep 2, 2012 22:18
BBQQ,

You may not know that you guys might frighten the US people. The US military satellite notices that millions of soldiers appear in China every September and then disappear 15 days later. They feel frightened. Why do those soldiers appear and disappear so quickly? Just a joke.
Sep 3, 2012 21:50
  • WANHU
In many public universities, ROTU (Reserve Officers Training Unit) is introduced to every student that needs to observe the training for 3-4 years according to their tenure of study. For school leavers (age around 18), selectively, they are selected to undergo army training under the National Service for 3 months.
Wan
Sep 10, 2012 03:56
Wan,

College students in your country accept longer training like this, right? I am not sure whether the military training is useful when emergent situation happens.
Sep 10, 2012 22:11
  • WANHU
Not really because the training usually involves marching drills, only for two hours, once a week, it's not a proper army training.
Wan
Sep 19, 2012 21:27
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Not really because the training usually involves marching drills, only for two hours, once a week, it's not a proper army training.
Wan

Marching for two hours per week is not a propre army training? Here we just learn how to walk perfectly in a team and stand under the sun or in the rain for at least 1 hour without moving. At night, we gather together after training and sing barrack ballads together.
Sep 20, 2012 02:58
  • WANHU
The students were trained how to use M16, during my time we used the old SLR of the Second World War, haha.
Wan
Sep 23, 2012 02:03
Quote:

The students were trained how to use M16, during my time we used the old SLR of the Second World War, haha.
Wan

Oh, that's real military training. I never touched a real gun before.
Sep 24, 2012 08:54
  • WANHU
It's really a good experience, Lonely. In those days, the handgun was Webley, without any safety catch (now Webley is no longer in use, its an old British handgun I think).
Wan
Sep 24, 2012 21:29
Quote:

It's really a good experience, Lonely. In those days, the handgun was Webley, without any safety catch (now Webley is no longer in use, its an old British handgun I think).
Wan

Yes, my best friend in high school was enrolled to a military academy. He told me that he received 3 months military training. That was real military training. Every semester, they have to take exams on physical performance, shooting and other subjects.

The college military training is no comparison to that in the military academy. But some lucky college students might have a chance to experience shooting. Each gets 5 or 10 bullets.
Sep 25, 2012 01:38
  • MAGISTER
New Students in the UK will actually arrive one week earlier than the other returning students. They certainly don't do military training. They enjoy freshers week which involves a lot of organized parties and fun. They will be encouraged to join social, academic and sporting clubs who will also organize activities. Most of these activities will involve students drinking a lot of alcohol.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Did you receive military training in college?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code