Menu
How to punish those pedestrians who run against the traffic lights?
Oct 28, 2012 04:04
  • BBQQ
According to China’s Road Traffic Safety Law, those pedestrians who break the law will be warned or fined CNY 5 to 50. Every morning, I have to pass a crossroad to reach my office. I see several people run against the traffic lights but none of them is warned of fined.

Shenzhen is planning to revise its local road traffic safety law. Those pedestrian who run against the traffic lights will be fined CNY 100. I guess it won’t work very well if there are not enough people to implement the law.

I have been told that some countries will record their ‘mistakes’ in their credit files if the pedestrians run against the traffic lights. This is really a good idea. People with bad credit history will have many difficulties in their lives.

How are those pedestrians who run against the traffic lights punished in your country?

Oct 28, 2012 09:21
GUEST17115 It has been my observation, as an American visiting China, that the traffic gridlocks and tieups start with jaywalkers and other peds crossing in red.

In the USA, such nice folks are ticketed and fined. Fine the offenders, persist on collecting the money and you'll see an instant decrease in the number of offenders.

But don't stop there. Drivers and motorbike riders should be fined too for not stopping in red. Hit them where it hurts: their pockets and they will stop breaking the traffic laws,

The traffic authority has to hire more traffic control policemen to write up more tickets. Then they need to hire an effective collection department.
Oct 28, 2012 20:59
  • JIMMYB
BBQQ,

Shijiazhuang also announces a new regulation. Jaywalkers will be fined CNY 50. If a swarm of people cross the road when red light is on, the first three will be fined. Why are the first three jaywalkers punished? They are regarded as the bad examples that break the traffic law at first and then others follow them to cross the roads.

I think the above regulation can’t be put into practice easily. First, there are not enough traffic police because there are too many crossroads in the city. Second, some areas don’t have surveillance cameras. When you catch the first three jaywalkers, they will deny that they are not the first three to break the rule.

China started to establish credit files for its citizens few years ago. Those who had bad credit history will have problem when they apply for loans from the banks. Currently, it just focuses on credit card delinquency and those who borrow money from the banks but don’t pay back on time.

In my opinion, the credit system should include jaywalking too. If you jaywalk a time, you will face high loan rate than other people. If you jaywalk two times, you won’t get loan from the banks.

You know, CNY 50 or 100 is not a big deal to some people. The punishment is too light.

From next year, the drivers who run against the traffic lights will be deducted six points. This is a severe punishment. Currently, they are just deducted 3 points. If a driver is deducted 12 points, he/she will be forced to study the traffic law.
Oct 29, 2012 02:36
  • DODGER
I could be wrong but from memory rule 47 of the Chinese road rules reads that Traffic should give way to pedestrians on crossings. I have never seen this done, except by me.
So in my opinion it’s unfair just to single out pedestrians as there is little common courtesy on Chinese roads and little, if any, regard for any of the rules now in place.
So why add more?
Cheers, Dodger.
Oct 29, 2012 03:31
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER View Post

I could be wrong but from memory rule 47 of the Chinese road rules reads that Traffic should give way to pedestrians on crossings. I have never seen this done, except by me.
So in my opinion it’s unfair just to single out pedestrians as there is little common courtesy on Chinese roads and little, if any, regard for any of the rules now in...

Dodger, you are not wrong. The rule 47 does exist. I checked the newest road traffic safety law (it will take effect in 2013). Those who break rule 47 will be deducted 3 points.

Why don’t the drivers abide by the law? Because they don’t get punished. If the law is implemented very well, there won’t be any driver who breaks the rule.

Dodger, I am not a driver. But I have seen many times that many pedestrians cross the road when the red light is on. Usually, a swarm of pedestrians cross the road together. The cars and buses are forced to stop to let them go. To deal with these people, severe punishments should be done, for sake of their lives.

PS: this morning, I saw a slim lady crossed the road when the red light was on. Luckily, there wasn’t a car or bus when he passed by. Maybe, she was late for work.

In some areas, the red and green lights don’t work very well. I moved to another apartment one month ago. Every day, I have to cross a crossing to take the public bus. But I find it very difficult for me to cross the road. When the green light is on, the pedestrians start to move. Suddenly, left-turning vehicles run towards the pedestrians. When the left-turning vehicles go away, the green light turns red. There isn’t enough time for pedestrians to cross the road before the red light is on.
Oct 29, 2012 16:03
  • WANHU
Credit defaulters bring headaches to the banks, thus they introduced such a system. Some of the jaywalkers could be the CEOs of certain companies, and I don't think banks want to lose such important customers. Employ traffic wardens that are authorised to issue summons. In Kuala Lumpur for example, both traffic police and City Hall enforcement officers can issue summons. Now with the introduction of AES (Automated Enforcement System) nationwide summons will be sent to the offenders to their homes (for those using vehicle, tracing through their vehicle registration numbers).

In Shenzhen there are private traffic wardens that can't issue summons to jaywalkers. Either the police, or the City Council need to provide enforcement officers, and summonses will provide revenues.

Wan
Oct 29, 2012 21:34
Many cities hire traffic wardens to assist the traffic police. They just remind those jaywalkers and drivers to abide by the traffic law but have no power to punish them. Thus, some people don't listen to them.

Wan,

CEOs don't do jaywalking because they either driver their own cars or have drivers to to take them to the office and back home. They are not afraid of breaking the traffic law.

I am not sure if you have heard of Gao Xiaosong, a famous singer in China. He is banned for life to drive because he drove when drunken.

The key is how we implement the traffic law. If we do implement it very well, we won't think about who he/she is. They break the law and should burden the punishment.
Oct 30, 2012 09:25
  • DODGER
Rules and regulations are useless unless they can be enforced.
It is illegal to drive without a set belt, uses your mobile phone and to have any level of alcohol in you body in China. I drive every day in Beijing and have yet to see anyone with a set belt on and plenty busy texting on their phones. Stop at any truck stop at lunch time and you will see plenty of truck drivers washing down their noodles with a bottle of rice wine, and while I am on a rant I must point out that when the green man lights up on pedestrian crossing it is supposed to mean that pedestrians have the right of way. I have tried it a couple of times and it doesn’t work.
Picking on pedestrians as they an easy mark is the lazy way out. Drivers need, either through education or the threat of a lose of money, or a combination of both.
A lady friend drove me to dinner this evening in her usual style, which is badly. I made a comment about her driving. She laughed, and to paraphrase her she said, I can do anything; nobody cares.
Is she right?
Cheers, Dodger.
Oct 30, 2012 16:37
  • WANHU
Lonely, you mean a CEO going across the road from his office needs to have a driver too?
Wan
Oct 30, 2012 22:05
  • JIMMYB
When I crossed the road this morning, I just saw one motorcycle rider stopped. The traffic police was 20 meters away from the zebra crossing. He did nothing when he saw other motorcycle and bicycle riders run against the red light. Also, I saw a lady talking on her cellphone when she passed by the traffic police.

What was the traffic police doing? He just directed the cars. I am sure that he saw the lady but he did nothing.

Sometimes, I even saw the traffic police chatting with each other or playing their cellphones.
Oct 30, 2012 22:10
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Lonely, you mean a CEO going across the road from his office needs to have a driver too?
Wan

No, no, no. The CEOs don't jaywalk. They either driver their own cars or have drivers to take them to the office or back home. But some of them don't abide by the traffic law. They might run against the red light or make calls when driving.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to punish those pedestrians who run against the traffic lights?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code