Menu
An interviewer interviews an interviewee at a coffee shop. Who should pay for the bill?
Nov 19, 2012 00:32
  • BBQQ
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 20 vote(s)
  2. 1 vote(s)
  3. 2 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Liu is the general manager of a Chinese Enterprise Management and Consulting Company in Shanghai. She interviewed an interviewee at a coffee shop but the interviewee gave her bad impression.

Liu order two cups of drink and carried them to the table. After the interview, the interviewee left and didn’t pay for the bill. Liu was dissatisfied with him though he is a MBA from Peking University. In Liu’s opinion, the interviewee should carry the drink to the table and pay for the bill.

Then Liu posted her experience on the Weibo. An Weibo user commented “Someone takes the interview as date while the other one takes the date as interview ”. Another Weibo user teased them “Are they both single? OMG, they are meant to be”.
Nov 19, 2012 06:25
  • WANHU
Is it an interview for a job or meeting a correspondent for her research? As it is done in a coffee shop I suppose it is for the latter. If someone comes to me with two cups, and he or she gives me one cup, I will think it is for gratis. As a consultant Liu should understand that it is her onus to bear the costs of papers, sending out questionnaire or even prepare the prepaid envelops to be used by her units of research. Thus she should pay for the drink.
Wan
Nov 19, 2012 20:43
  • BBQQ
Wanhu,

It is an job interview. Liu argues that the job vacancy is for Public Relations. The interviewee at least should help her carry the drinks to the table. I guess she takes it as a 'test'. I agree with you that Liu should pay for the bill. It is she who chose the interview site and interviewed the interviewee.

Many big companies afford the interviewees' transportation cost. When I graduated from college, I once took a job interview in Tianjin. You know, Tianjin is very far away from Chengdu. At first, I hesitated to accept the interview. You know, the transportation cost was expensive to a graduate who had no job. But the HR told me that they covered the hard sleeping berth for a round trip. Then I went there. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but they fulfilled their promise to cover my transportation cost.
Nov 19, 2012 20:46
  • BBQQ
As for the job interview, I have something to say. Some interviewers do have strange questions or ways to test the interviewees. For example, they may put some pins on the floor. The one who notice the pins and pick them up does give good impression to the interviewers.
Nov 21, 2012 04:46
  • WANHU
In my case, for job interviews, the interviewee needs to pay everything and job interviews are seldom done in coffee shops or restaurants unless for kitchen helpers, cook, captain, commis or chef. The interviewers never provide drinks or even transport fare, the onus is on the interviewee because it is us that need the job.

Maybe it's different in China because the person who's looking for the job simply asks the interviewer to contact him or her if she has vacancy for a certain job(s). This is what I observed in this TCG.

Wan
Nov 21, 2012 04:47
  • WANHU
If the interview is for research by certain companies or organisations then that organisation shall provide everything as we are only as respondents or units or research.
Wan
Nov 21, 2012 20:24
  • BBQQ
Wan,

If the interviewees are introduce by the Headhunters, usually the interview is held at coffee shop, restaurants or other places with good environment. This is what I heard. In this situation, the interviewee dominates the interview.

It's true that the company can refuse to compensate the interviewees transportation fees. But some famous and large corps usually compensate those interviewees. Why? The money isn't a big deal. And their action will make the interviewees feel that the company is a good company. Why not spend little money to build up good reputation? And their good reputation attracts more and more talented people to join them. Very clever!
Nov 22, 2012 02:06
  • WANHU
If it has 500 applicants, from Guangzhou to Tianjin is not cheap. Think how much the company has to spend on transport.
Wan
Nov 25, 2012 02:29
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

If it has 500 applicants, from Guangzhou to Tianjin is not cheap. Think how much the company has to spend on transport.
Wan

Wanhu,

The companies are not silly. They filter the applicants' resumes at first and then choose those they favor and then call them to join the exams or interview.

My friends who is in charge of HR in her company told me their process. First, they filter the applicants' resumes. Usually, 20 to 30 candidates will be informed by phone and required to do an online exam. This exam is used to test your EQ and personality. After the exam, 5 to 10 candidates will be informed to join the final face to face interview. After the interview, the only who is qualified for the position will be chosen. This is the standard process.

Except from this, they have a program to recruit the graduates from the colleges. The HR arranges some personels to go to some colleges to seek for the most appropriate ones. The resume collection, exams and job interviews are done at the colleges.

Today, some new means of recruitment have already been put into use. Thanks to internet and telcom operators, video or phone interviews are also used.
Nov 25, 2012 02:32
  • BBQQ
PS:

I think the corps have their budgets. They know how much they will spend on the recruitment. Then they can decide how many interviewees they will inform to come to their headquarters for interviews. They won't let 500 candidates from all corners of China to join at the interview.
Nov 25, 2012 09:55
  • EMERALD7
bbqq, what u told is not that realistic to normal recruitment process. the process u said only applies to recruiting top salesmen or top mgt who would bring more projects that would increase mkt shares and revenues..besides.. it applies to recruiting persons that holds specific knowledge that is rarely able to be provided by others in this field...
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: An interviewer interviews an interviewee at a coffee shop. Who should pay for the bill?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code